The yellow, sometimes green, and Grandma’s absolute favorite fruit, lemon comes from an evergreen tree originally found in Asia. The whole fruit, with its pulp, the juice, the rind and the zest, is used for cooking as well as non-culinary purposes, mostly as home remedies. Lemon juice is often used to make lemonade and other lemon beverages, which are undeniably flavorful and tasty. The juice contains 6% citric acid, which makes its taste sour, and contains vitamin C, calcium, folate, vitamins B5, B3, B1, and B2, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, zinc as well as sugar, carbohydrates, dietary fiber, fat, and protein. This is why the lemon is considered to be a miraculous fruit.
Let’s take a quick look at the awesome benefits lemon has to offer.
101 Ways Lemon Can Be Beneficial
1. Lemons are rich in vitamin C, which makes them work effectively in treating common cold. To treat a runny nose and an itchy nasal passage, you can have a cup of lemon water, preferably warm (1).
2. Lemons help in alkalizing the body by restoring the pH balance of the body (2).
3. Looking forward to shed the extra kilos? The solution is simple. Drink warm lemon water every morning. Lemon acts as a natural diuretic, which helps you lose water weight. Also, lemon juice helps your body flush out toxins and waste (3)!
4. The acidic property of lemon will remove all the dirt attached to your teeth and make them sparkly white (4).
5. If you are troubled by a stubborn cough, try having warm lemon water with honey twice a day. This soothes your throat and suppresses the cough, and you will experience relief almost immediately (5).
6. Lemon is antibacterial in nature. Its acidic property does not allow bacteria and viruses to survive for long. Having a cup of warm lemon water or lemon tea will soothe your throat and reduce the pain and inflammation as well (6).
7. Lemon has been discovered to have 22 anti-cancer compounds. These include limonene, which slows down the growth of cancer tumors, and flavonol glycosides, which can stop cell division in cancer cells (7).
8. Lemon is rich in vitamin C, which exhibits laxative effects and helps treat constipation (8). So, why not add a tasty dose of lemon into your diet and say bye-bye to it?
9. The citric acid present in the lemon helps dissolve kidney stones. Regular consumption of lemon juice will prevent their formation (9).
10. For a healthy liver, include lemons in your diet in any form – be it garnishing or a simple glass of lemonade. The citric acid present in lemons increases the production of bile in the liver, which helps in flushing out toxins from the body (10).
11. It has been proven that having lemon juice on a daily basis lowers the systolic blood pressure (11). So, include it in your diet to keep your blood pressure in control.
12. The strong scent emitted by the lemon is found to be really effective in reducing nausea and vomiting during pregnancy (12).
13. Lemon juice, when mixed with water, is a very good remedy to treat acid reflux (13).
14. Sucking on lemon or lemon candy, or even a good cup of lemon water helps in curing gastritis (14).
15. Applying lemon and pepper paste on your knee caps can help reducing the effects of arthritis (15).
16. Lemonade made from two ounces of lemon juice in water is usually recommended to the patients suffering from gouty diathesis (16).
17. All forms of lemon, but in a mild concentration, are considered to be good for babies. Doctors advise parents to give their child warm water with lemon and honey to get rid of cough, diarrhea, and cholera (17).
18. It is a proven fact that consuming the prescribed quantity of vitamin C can prevent many age-related vision troubles such as cataract (18). And what can be a better source of Vitamin C than our beloved lemon?
19. The vitamin C in lemon helps in breaking down alcohol in the liver in addition to relieving your thirst. Hence, lemon juice is often recommended as a cure for hangovers (19).
20. Warm water with lemon juice is an amazing everyday dose to treat psoriasis. The citric acid present in lemon juice eases dryness and flaking, and the anti-inflammatory properties soothe inflammation (20).
21. Warm water mixed with honey and lemon juice is one of the most recommended home remedies for flu (21). For best results, add some pepper and cinnamon to the above mixture.
22. The antioxidant property of lemon works best for the heart. These chemicals scavenge the free radicals and thus, keep your heart healthy (22).
23. One of the age-old cures, having warm water with lemon every morning keeps you away from indigestion troubles (23).
24. Lemon has antiviral and antibacterial properties. Having lemon juice or lemonade when you have salivary gland infections ensures that the infection-causing bacteria are eliminated (24).
25. In order to get relief from heartburn, simply sip a glass of warm water with four teaspoons of lemon juice (25).
26. Roseola is a common viral infection that generally occurs in kids under the age of two. The antiviral properties of lemon can help in curing roseola (26).
27. An age-old remedy for curing asthma is to have a glass of lemonade at the break of the dawn. The antiseptic properties of lemon make it an excellent cure for asthma (27).
28. In earlier times, women used to scrub lemon peels on their underarms to get rid of the foul smell of sweat. This is because lemon exhibits antibacterial and antifungal properties, which means that it kills the odor-causing bacteria and eliminates body odor (28). You can also squeeze a full lemon in a bucketful of water and take a bath using it for a fresh and odor-free day.
29. If you experience a terrible headache, try applying a paste made out of lemon crust on your forehead for 30 minutes. The calming and refreshing nature of lemon helps in relieving headaches (29).
30. Getting rid of dark elbows can be quite a task. Lemon has bleaching properties that help in lightening the skin around the elbows and makes it soft as well. Rub half a lemon gently on your elbows and wash them after 15 minutes for tan-free and soft elbows (30).
31. Lemon is antifungal in nature. Cut a lemon in two halves and dip the halves in salt. Dab it over the infected area for a few minutes daily to get rid of ringworms (31).
32. It’s a proven fact that sucking on a lemon candy lowers the effects of thyroid troubles, be it thyroid cancer, hypothyroidism, or hyperthyroidism (32).
33. People suffering from low blood pressure should be given full body massage by using a half sun-soaked lemon mixed with 1/4 cup oil. This will help stabilize the blood pressure (33).
34. Looking to start your day with a bang? Have a glass of lemon water. It will rejuvenate your cells, giving you an instant energy boost (34).
35. Lemon contains a compound called d-limonene that supports bowel movements, helping the body get rid of toxins and waste (35). Drink a spicy lemonade made out of natural spring water, fresh lemon juice, maple syrup, and a pinch of pepper to detoxify your body.
36. Sipping distilled water with a tinge of lemon water on a regular basis is known to cure peptic ulcers (36).
37. Lemon juice is very beneficial in curing edema of the muscular region that is produced by vascular decomposition (37).
38. Drinking lemon juice with warm water in the morning will help in regular and easy bowel movement. Following a lemonade diet is beneficial for those with troubled bowel movements (38).
39. Lemon contains potassium, calcium, copper, and magnesium, which are important for strong bones (39). Drinking lemon water daily will make strengthen your bones and make you strong from within.
40. Having lemon juice daily is an efficient method to destroy the presence of intestinal worms (40).
41. Lemon peel has tengeretin, which is effective for brain disorders like Parkinson’s disease (41).
42. The consumption of vitamin C on a daily basis helps in treating weakened capillaries, which are the main cause of facial blood vessel ruptures (42).
43. The vitamin C present in lemon helps to treat scurvy (43). The British Navy stocks its ships with lemons to help the sailors have at least an ounce of lemon juice each day.
44. The acidic nature of lemon helps in curing bad breath (44).
* Take a lemon and cut it in two halves.
* Take some salt and baking soda on one-half of the lemon and rub this on your teeth and gums.
* This will make your teeth whiter.
* This will relieve bad breath and also make your teeth whiter.
45. Many studies have concluded that incorporating a higher dosage of vitamin C in the diet leads to a reduction in the risks associated with cardiovascular diseases, and hence, there are lesser chances of strokes (45).
46. Lemon has anticoagulant properties, which means it can prevent blood clots and reduce internal bleeding (46). Add lemon juice as a seasoning for good health.
47. Lemon juice is rich in Vitamin C, which is important product to curb ailments associated with the respiratory system (47).
48. We may not have known this, but lemon juice is blessed with anti-cholera properties, which came in handy during the epidemic days. Lemon water kills the cholera bacilli within a short time (48).
49. Dropping lemon juice in nostrils is an age-old and highly effective remedy for nose bleeding (49).
50. If taken on a regular basis, lemon juice is effective in treating menorrhagia and hemorrhage (50).
51. Lemons are rich in antiviral compounds that make them highly efficient in curing hepatitis (51).
52. Adopt the habit of having a glass of lemon juice every day to minimize the chances of getting a heat or sunstroke (52).
53. Having lemonade on a daily basis is a natural remedy for weakness and debility. Adopt this healthy habit and say bye-bye to lethargy (53).
54. If you have a low vitality, try consuming lemon juice daily. It will eradicate this problem in no time (54).
55. Why go to the parlor when you can get beautiful foot right at home? Dip your legs in hot water to relax the muscles and then scrub with lemon juice. The hot water will soothe your pores, and lemon juice works as an astringent (55).
56. Lemon juice works as one of the greatest home remedies for acute rheumatism. It ceases the pain and reduces swelling and redness of the area (56).
57. Bandage and fasten a slice of lemon onto the corn and leave it for the overnight for its natural eradication (57). Trust me, it works.
58. Lemon is rich in vitamin C, which encourages the absorption of iron (58).
59. Lemon is full of antioxidants, and thus, it works wonders in preventing skin diseases such as erythema (59).
60. Lemon juice helps dissolve uric acid and other poisons. It also helps to liquefy the bile. All this helps in stimulating the liver and detoxifying it (60).
Skin Benefits Of Lemon
1. For getting rid of the eye bags resulting from a shortage of sleep and tiredness, apply lemon juice with a small cotton ball. Leave it on for some time and then wash it off using cold water (61). Lemon is rich in vitamin C, which helps in the synthesis of collagen and reduces the puffiness under your eyes.
2. The vitamin C in lemon exhibits anti-aging properties and helps you get rid of fine lines and wrinkles (62).
* To make the anti-wrinkle mask, use a tablespoon of honey and add some drops of lemon juice to it.
* Add a few drops of almond oil (sweet) to this and mix the ingredients into a paste.
* Then apply this on the face, keep it on for 15-20 minutes and then wash off.
3. Lemon has antibacterial properties. Rubbing diluted lemon solution on the affected area can reduce acne (63).
4. Having a smooth skin is really difficult, especially when blackheads appear most abruptly in the area surrounding our nose. The citric acid present in the lemon juice makes it really easy to peel off all the blackheads by applying gentle pressure (64).
5. The antiviral properties of lemon help in killing the virus causing the cold sores. So, the next time you are looking for a remedy for cold sores, try using lemons or lemon balm (65).
6. Lemon is one of the most widely used ingredients for skin lightening (66). Its bleaching properties help in reducing spots and marks.
7. The existing dark spots on the face, caused due to exposure to sun, acne, or pregnancy, can be lightened by the use of lemon juice (67).
8. Applying lemon juice on the nails works great as it has vitamin C, which makes the nails healthy and strong (68).
* To help keep the nails healthy, immerse the nails in a bowl of lemon juice for about 10 minutes.
* Then, immerse them in a mixture of warm water and white vinegar.
* Rinse with water and see the difference.
9. Lemon juice, when mixed with cored apples, honey, and turmeric, is a really effective measure in treating melasma. Malic acid found in these raw materials helps in skin lightening (69).
10. If you are searching for a remedy to get rid of those unnatural freckles, use a lemon face pack that can lighten the huge spots on your skin (70). Here is how you can make the pack:
* For this, you will need egg white and one teaspoon of lemon.
* Soak some almonds overnight in milk. Peel them in the morning and grind them.
* Mix all the ingredients together.
* Spread the mixture on the face and let it dry for 20 minutes.
* Then wash off with water.
11. If the scorching heat has tanned your skin, it’s time for you to experience the magic of lemon. Mix rose water and lemon juice and apply this lotion on the affected area twice a day to remove the tan (71).
12. The vitamin C and ascorbic acid found in lemons help in the effective rebuilding of collagen, which in turn helps in the lightening of blemishes (72).
13. Apply lemon juice on the affected area and leave it on overnight. This helps in healing eczema (73).
14. The citric acid in lemons is considered to be the best for smoothening the skin and filling up all the visible pores. Just make sure to dilute the lemon juice (74).
15. The exfoliating property of fresh lime juice works wonders in removing dead skin and thus, helps in getting rid of cystic acne (75). Apply fresh lemon juice to the affected area and rinse it after 10 minutes with cold water for best results.
16. To get rid of dark spots, you can dab lemon juice squirted on a cotton ball onto the affected skin. This will lighten the dark spots (76).
17. The vitamin C found in lemons helps to neutralize the free radicals that cause aging and diseases (77).
18. The natural astringent property of lemon juice combined with its antimicrobial effect is amazing for clearing up the skin (78). For best results, apply lemon juice directly over the affected area and wash it off with cold water.
19. Lemon is the best for treating oily skin. Just mix up some eggs, honey, and strawberries with lemon and apply it over your skin. Rinse it off to get an oil-free and glowing skin (79).
20. The antiseptic properties of lemon help in killing microbes and germs in wounds (80).
21. You can use lemon to get rid of the unnatural dryness of the skin (81).
* Use a teaspoon of vegetable oil and add 1/4th of a teaspoon of lemon juice to it.
* Apply this on all the dry areas of the body like hands, elbows, heels, and other body parts.
* Leave it on for 10-15 minutes and then rinse with water.
22. Try this lemon juice paste to obtain smooth skin (82).
* Take a ripe banana and a few drops of lemon juice (freshly squeezed).
* Mix these two ingredients in a bowl and make a paste.
* Apply this on the face and leave it on till it dries.
* Wash off with water to get smooth skin.
23. Lemon also works as a natural bleach (83).
* Mix two tablespoons of lemon juice, two tablespoons of tomato juice, and two tablespoons of milk in a bowl.
* Apply the mixture on the face and body.
* This mixture works as a natural bleach.
24. Use lemon juice for obtaining a healthy and happy skin (84).
* Take four tablespoons of yogurt and three teaspoons of lemon juice and mix them well.
* Add one teaspoon of vegetable oil (any variant) to it.
* Massage this pack on the body using upward strokes.
* Leave it on for 10-15 minutes, and then wash off and take your usual bath.
25. For obtaining a younger skin naturally, you will need the juice of a lemon (freshly squeezed), a teaspoon of glycerin, and a cup of milk.
* Mix the milk and lemon juice in a small bowl, add the glycerine, and make a mixture.
* Apply this mixture on the body and the face.
* Leave this mixture on for 25-30 minutes and then wash it off.
* The best time to use this mixture is before going to bed.
* For best results, use this every night for a week to see improvements.
* This works great on pimples and scars and also relieves you from dryness and sunburn.
Hair Benefits Of Lemon
1. The antifungal property of lemon kills the fungi causing dandruff, leaving you with healthy hair (85).
2. Lemons help in covering gray hair by making them light and soft. Rinse your hair with lemon water to make it lustrous (86).
* Mix a few drops of lemon juice with amla juice and apply this mixture each night before going to sleep.
* This will not only stop hair fall but also prevent premature graying.
3. Lemon is very helpful in treating an itchy scalp as it balances the pH levels of the scalp, thus lowering the emission of excessive oils, which are a major factor in dandruff production (87).
4. Lemon juice is also very effective in killing lice due to its acidic nature. Use this wondrous juice with vinegar, eggs, and garlic to bid goodbye to all lice-related troubles (88).
5. Lemon works as a great conditioner for dry and damaged hair.
* Mix lemon juice with 3/4th cup olive oil and ½ cup raw honey.
* Apply the mixture on hair and cover with a plastic wrap for half an hour.
* After 30 minutes, rinse off and use a mild shampoo to clean your hair.
6. Lemon is also beneficial in stopping hair fall (89). Follow the following steps for the correct application of lemon juice onto your hair.
* Take 3-4 tablespoons of coconut oil and add the juice of half a lemon to it.
* Apply this mixture on the hair once a week.
* Follow this for 2-3 weeks to see results.
Other Benefits Of Lemon
1. Lemon contains d-limonene, which exhibits a repellent effect on fleas (90). Concentrated lemon juice acts as a wonderful moth deterrent. Use a spray bottle to spray lemon juice in all areas that are month-infested (91).
2. The strong cleaning power of concentrated lemon juice helps in scrubbing the most troublesome spots on your tables, chairs, or any furniture (92).
3. Since lemon has antimicrobial properties, lemon juice can be used as a preservative to increase the shelf life of various food items (93).
4. Sometimes, there are greasy spots on the stove, or on the kitchen table, or maybe the dining table and these spots are very hard to remove. This problem can be fixed by using a lemon (94).
* Take a lemon and cut it in half.
* Sprinkle some salt on one half of the lemon and rub it on the greasy spots.
* Then rub with a clean towel.
5. Chopping boards are often neglected, and many bacteria may grow on them. You can use a lemon to refresh those cutting boards (95).
* Take a lemon and cut it in half.
* Rub it over the board and rinse with water.
6. Sometimes, while eating fruits, you invariably end up staining your clothes. Since lemon is a natural bleach, it can remove these stains quite easily.
* Cut a lemon in half.
* Rub it on the stain alongwith some baking soda and salt and wash the stain disappear.
7. Dab some lemon juice on a soft cloth and wipe your shoes with it. The lemon juice will make your shoes shiny and remove the dirt as well.
8. Steel sinks and pots get dirty with water sediments and other deposits over them. Use lemon juice to get rid of them quickly.
* To clean these items, just use lemon juice on the needed spots.
* Rinse after a while and gently buff with a cloth to get rid of the stains.
9. Sometimes, food explosions create a mess and food items get stuck to the oven’s inner surface. You can use lemon rind to get rid of these messes.
* Pour some water in a microwave-safe bowl and soak lemon rind in it.
* Microwave it for five to six minutes. Let the water boil so that the steam fills the microwave.
* The condensed steam will help soften the messy food items.
* Take out the bowl and carefully clean the microwave using a towel.
10. Use a vegetable peeler or a knife to peel long strips from a lemon to add as garnishing to drinks and cocktails. Store these peels in a sealed container or freezer-safe bag and refrigerate for future use