1. Dating the guy who makes obscure movie and TV references to see if you get them. It makes you appreciate the ones who don’t try so hard to be cool.
2. Wearing the wrong thing to a job interview. So educational.
3. Cooking recipes that are waaay over your head, and messing them up. You don’t have to . it by the book to be a great cook.
4. Getting a Brazilian wax so you know never to get one again.
5. Splurging big bucks on a stunning, drop-dead-gorgeous dress…that will hang in your closet unworn for years because it’s simply not “you.” Every time you look at it you’ll be reminded to always stay true to your fashion self. Even if that self is more of a stunning jeans-and-tee girl.
6. Getting that trendy haircut.
7. Dating the “bad boy.” Turns out Mr. Right should actually be nice!
8. Having at least one job that’s completely wrong for you—it helps you narrow down what you don’t want in a career.
9. Going to bed with an entire kitchen full of dirty dishes and glasses after hosting a party—because you’ll never, ever do it again.
10. Overdressing. (You may have been wrong, but let’s face it, you looked better than everyone there.)
11. Attempting natural childbirth. For some people, it’s the right choice. But now at least you know you’re the kind of woman who’ll TAKE THE DRUGS.
12. Wearing the cute, light-colored top with a 7-month old. Two words: green puke.
13. Not listening to your mother. Now, life experiences have taught you that there was a good reason for all those manner, grammar and posture lessons, not to mention a heavy dose of compassion. Because she was right.