Factual Pursuit of Truth for Progress
A former Senate President, Ken Nnamani, on Friday, declared his intention to run for the 2023 presidential election under the platform of the All Progressives Congress.
Nnamani, though, demanded the reduction of the cost of interest and nomination forms for aspirants seeking elective posts under the APC.
According to him, such costs do not align with the nation’s current socio-economic realities.
Nnamani who made his declaration during a press conference in Abuja said compared with other aspirants who had declared intention so far, he was the most suited for the job of the President.
Some aspirants including a former Governor of Lagos State, Asiwaju Bola Tinubu; Governor of Kogi State, Yahaya Bello; Governor of Ebonyi State, Dave Umahi; a former Governor of Abia State, Senator Orji Orji Kalu; ex-Governor of Imo State, Rochas Okorocha; Cross River State Governor, Ben Ayade; Minister of Labour and Employment, Senator Chris Ngige and Minister of State for Education, Emeka Nwajiuba have openly declared their interest to succeed Buhari whose second-year tenure ends on May 29, 2023.
Nnamani said his pedigree as the President of the Senate and Chairman of the Presidential Committee on Constitutional and Electoral Reform makes him the right candidate.
According to him, Nigeria faces very tough challenges now more than ever, adding that the country needs a man of tested integrity and competence to mobilize them to overcome these tough challenges.
He said, “Different period requires a different kind of leadership. In 2015, we needed a Buhari to take Nigeria away from the misdirection of the Peoples Democratic Party. In 2023, we need a leader who knows how to work across the divides and lead a coalition for competent and dedicated Nigeria to lay foundations for social stability and prosperity. We need tested and trusted leaders who would reignite hope in the hearts of young Nigerians and unlock the competencies that we are losing to other nations.
“In 2023, we will need a Ken Nnamani to help unite Nigeria, deepen democracy, and rebuild the social and economic infrastructure of sustainable development based on production and fair distribution.
“This is a season of politics. The season of politics is often a season of empty promises and of needless drama. Many persons will make claims that are unrelated to reality. But this is not time for such frivolities. This is time for aspirants to present their ideas and visions for a better Nigeria. Such ideas and visions will be matched with the right pedigree.
“My pedigree and previous accomplishments in high office in Nigeria lend credence to the fact that I am a good fit for the challenges of this moment in Nigerian history. I am aspiring to be President in 2023 because I believe that in this period of grave crisis, Nigeria needs to be reinvented to be a modern, democratic state that prioritizes the socio-economic wellbeing of its citizens; to be restructured from inefficient consumption to production; and to be led with integrity and compassion.”
He said following the growing national consensus that the next president of Nigeria should come from the South-East, the region owe other Nigerians the reciprocal respect of bringing forth the best to lead.
Nnamani said many people from the South East and other Nigerians, especially his colleagues in the National Assembly, have asked him to “avail the Nigerian nation the characteristic honest, competent, and disciplined leadership he offered the Senate.”
“If I am not convinced that I will provide the leadership that can overcome the tough challenge we are faced today, I would not express intention to be the candidate of my party for the 2023 presidential election”, he added.
The former Senate President added that the high nomination fees parties ask aspirants to pay for elective offices in Nigeria need rethinking.
He stressed the need for the Independent Electoral Commission to “regulate both the costs of nominations and campaign expenses.”
Many feared dead as explosion rocks Kano
Factual Pursuit of Truth for Progress
At least three residents of Kano were killed while many are currently trapped in an explosion which rocked Sabongari area of the state.
Details of the incident are still sketchy, but it was gathered that an explosive device went off in the early hours of the day.
It is being reported that a suicide bomber struck in the area.
Officials of the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) are currently at the scene.
Court remands three suspects for stealing transformer cables in Osun monarch’s palace
An Osun State Magistrate court sitting in Ilesa, on Monday remanded three suspected thieves in police custody for stealing transformer cables valued at N700,000 in Owa Obokun of Ijeshaland, Oba Adekunle Aromolaran’s palace.
The suspects, Owolabi Abimbola,33, Sulaiman Mutiu,25, Samson Oluwafemi,25, and others now at large are facing four-count charges on the committed offence.
According to the Police Prosecutor, Inspector Adigun Kehinde, the stolen transformer cables were the property of IBEDC Ilesa branch.
He told the court that the defendants on May 11, 2022, conspired, stole and diverted to their own personal use a transformer cable at the Owa Obokun Palace.
Adigun argued that the offence committed by the defendants was contrary to sections 516, 400, 451(6), 383(2) of the Criminal Code Cap 34 Vol ll Law of Osun State 2002, which saw the suspects pleaded not guilty to the charges brought against them.
In his ruling, the presiding Magistrate, A.O Awodele fixed further hearing on the case till May 18th and ordered that the defendants should be kept in Police custody.
Rio Ferdinand reacts after Cristiano Ronaldo failed to make Premier League Player of the Year shortlist
Rio Ferdinand has reacted to Cristiano Ronaldo’s omission from the Premier League Player of the Year shortlist, saying it’s ‘laughable’ while insisting he will ‘100 per cent’ stay at Manchester United next season.
Ronaldo’s return to the club from Juventus hasn’t gone as planned after enduring a frustrating first season at United, who have missed out on Champions League qualification. Though, he has 18 Premier League goals to his name.
Despite his individual performance, there was no room for the Portuguese star on this season’s Premier League Player of the Year shortlist, which consists of Trent Alexander-Arnold, Jarrod Bowen, Joao Cancelo, Kevin De Bruyne, Mohamed Salah, Son Heung-min, James Ward-Prowse, and Bukayo Saka.
Now, Ferdinand has questioned how Saka, who has registered six goals and 11 assists for Arsenal, has earned a nomination ahead of his old team-mate.
‘Saka’s in the in the Player of the Year nominees?’ the former United defender asked on the Vibe with Five podcast. ‘I wouldn’t have had Saka in there yet, as well as he’s done.
‘I wouldn’t have had him over Ronaldo, no, not this season. Ronaldo should be in ahead of three of four of those guys in there.
‘He probably doesn’t win it but in terms of nominees, it’s laughable. He’ll take it as a disrespect but these are the things that fuel him, he’ll be thinking, “how dare you?”.
‘If it’s based on stats, he’s like, “I’ve banged in more goals than most of them on that list other than Salah, so what are you talking about?”‘