Here are 5 things that you would never suspect can make or break your attraction to someone else.
1. The Internet: A study done at St. Andrews University found that women who spend a lot of time on the Internet find masculine men more attractive. The opposite was true for women with limited Internet access: They preferred more feminine-looking dudes. So bizarre.
2. The Pill: Research shows that taking hormonal birth control can skew our attractionto certain types of men. Other studies have found that women are also attracted to different features when they’re ovulating, so even not being on the Pill can have an impact.
3. Feeling Really Single: Research by the University of Toronto found that when we’re feeling like we could be lonely forever, we may lower our standards of who we find attractive. So even if you usually go for the best-looking one in the crowd, if things start looking sparse, our attraction to others may be stronger.
4. The People Around You: Keeping the same people in our close proximity—like your office cubicle mate—may force us into being attracted to people whom we wouldn’t normally fall for, according to previous studies. And honestly, it’s kind of easy to get yourself all hot and bothered about someone you see every single day.
5. Considering Relationships: A study found that when men are looking for just a fling or a short-term relationship, they’re more attracted to women with feminine faces. Although what’s considered “feminine” can be subjective, it does go to show that men’s attraction hinders on what they want out of a relationship. We knew that looks have a lot to do with attraction, but leave it to dudes to have their attraction to women altered by, well, their l!bido‘s needs.