There are many causes of dark underarm that ladies don’t pay attention to! Discoloration in the underarm region is usually not a disease or medical condition. Dark underarms can be thought of as the skin’s response to exposure to certain elements, similar to a suntan that results from exposure to the sun’s ultraviolet rays.
Some of the main causes of dark underarms are shaving, regular use of hair removal creams, excessive sweating, poor ventilation of underarms, accumulation of dead skin cells, and use of alcohol-based deodorants and antiperspirants but not to worry, you can easily get rid of dark underarms using simple home remedies that are safe, effective, natural and affordable.
However, at times dark underarms may also be as a result of a medical condition that is known as acanthosis nigricans which is often associated with insulin resistance, obesity, hormonal disorders, certain medications, and cancer.
How to get rid of dark underarms
1. Irish potato
Potatoes have mild acidic properties that act as a great natural bleaching agent. Unlike strong bleaching agents, it will not cause skin irritation.
- Simply rub a thin slice of potato on your underarms.
- You can also grate the potato and apply the juice to the affected area, allow it to dry for 15 to 20 minutes and then wash it off with lukewarm water.
Use either of these remedies twice daily for better and faster results.
2. Coconut oil
Coconut oil is another good option to get rid of dark underarms. The oil contains vitamin E that can help lighten the underarms. At the same time, it will also work as an effective natural deodorant.
- Massage the dark underarms with coconut oil.
- Leave it on for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Wash it off with mild soap and lukewarm water.
- Repeat two or three times daily until you achieve the desired results.
3. Milk and Yoghurt
The vitamins and fatty acids present in milk can help minimize underarm darkening. It will help soften the skin and make the skin tone much lighter.
- Mix 2 tablespoons of full-fat milk with 1 tablespoon flour and 1 teaspoon of plain yoghurt to make a thick paste.
- Apply it on your underarms and leave it on for about 15 minutes before you wash it off with cold water. Repeat few times a week on a regular basis.
Cucumber slices are often used to soothe eye bags and also to lighten under-eye dark circles. Just like potatoes, they also have natural bleaching properties to help lighten discoloured skin.
- Simply rub a thin slice of cucumber on your underarms or grate a cucumber and apply the juice under your arms. Do this once or twice daily until you are satisfied with the results.
- Another option is to extract the juice from a cucumber and mix it with a little turmeric powder and lemon juice. Apply this paste on the affected area. Leave it on for 30 minutes, and then wash it off with water. Repeat this home remedy once daily or every other day for best results.
5. Olive oil
Olive oil is very hydrating and nourishing for the skin. It is also rich in antioxidants. Mix this with brown sugar which acts as an exfoliant and will remove the dead skin cells that have accumulated and made your underarm skin darker.
- Mix 2 tablespoons virgin olive oil with 2-3 tablespoons brown sugar
- Dampen the underarm skin and apply the mixture.
- Scrub for a minute or two and leave it on for five minutes.
- Rinse with lukewarm water.
Do this twice a week until you get the desired results.
Tumeric is commonly used in face masks to lighten and brighten up the skin tone and also fade dark spots. Regular application on the underarms will definitely lighten the dark skin.
- Mix 1 teaspoon turmeric powder with 1 tablespoon of milk and 1 teaspoon honey (optional)
- Apply the paste on the underarms and let it dry for 10-12 minutes and then rinse.
Repeat this twice a week.
7. Pumice stone
This naturally occurring stone has been used as an exfoliant for centuries. It will help in removing the darkened layer of the skin.
Wet the pumice stone and gently scrub the underarms for a few minutes before taking a shower. Do this twice or thrice a week.
Don’t be too zealous while scrubbing as it might cause further abrasions, and you certainly don’t want to walk around like a scarecrow for the next few days.
Would you be trying any of these out? Don’t forget to share results.