Armed bandits have released six of their victims in Katsina state after spending 66 days in captivity.
The victims and 22 others were abducted while one person was killed when bandits attacked some communities in Batsari Local Government Area of the state last May.
A local source told AIT that one of the victims identified as Hussaina Umar Tukur and her child, Al-Ameen secured their freedom after her family payed N2.5 million cash as ransom.
A resident, Misbahu Batsari, told Premium Times that when they were to release Hussaina Umar and her son, the bandits decided to select four out of the remaining people in captivity and sent them as a Sallah gift to the people of the community.
It was gathered that after receiving the ransom, the bandits promised to release Hussaina and her son to her family at a location in Batsari on Friday evening, July 23.
A member of Hussaina’s family who went to the location to pick her, however, met other victims out of which four were also released along with the mother and child.
The family member who pleaded anonymity said the bandits released the other victims on compassionate ground. He gave the names of other freed victims as Marwanatu Bello, Zainab Bello, Muhammad Bello and Yakubu Bello.
Batsari, who is a journalist, said that Hussaina and other freed victims have reunited with their families after undergoing medical check-up.
“They look very tired and frustrated. They told us how heartless the kidnappers are. An infant, who was kidnapped alongside his mother, died in the kidnappers’ den.” Batsari said.
Meanwhile, Hussaina’s husband, Mr Tukur, declined to comment on the development.
“What matters is my wife and son have come back to me,” he told Premium Times.
Recounting their ordeals while in captivity, one of the victims stated that they suffered a lot in the hands of their abductors, who kept them with little or no food for some days including other forms of molestations.
Another victim also revealed that one of the ladies amongst the abductees lost her child while being tortured.
Israel reportedly used a remote-controlled gun to assassinate Iran’s top nuclear scientist
A new report has claimed that Israel’s top spy agency Mossad assassinated top Iranian nuclear scientist Mohsen Fakhrizadeh on November 27th, 2020 using a remotely-controlled, Artificial Intelligence-assisted machine gun.
According to the new report by The New York Times, Israel reportedly mounted the gun on a pickup truck by the side of the road and, when Fakhrizadeh’s car approached had a distant operator fire the gun using a satellite link.
The attack was precise, but didn’t kill Fakhrizadeh’s wife, and may not have used facial recognition to assist with aiming as unnamed Iranian officials said.
While Israel purportedly used the Artificial intelligence to compensate for the satellite system’s lag and gun recoil, Israel Mossad operatives identified Fakhrizadeh by staging a decoy car with a camera to force a U-turn and get a clear image.
Neither Israel nor Iran has publicly confirmed the use of a robotic gun, although The Times’ story is based in part on the Fakhrizadeh family’s statements to reporters.
After the assassination, the Israeli operatives exploded the truck in a bid to destroy the evidence, but the equipment remained intact (if inoperable). That was how Iranian investigators determined the nature of the attack .
The remote gun was supposedly difficult to set up as Israel reportedly smuggled parts in very gradually.
Israel kelt agents out of harm’s way and avoided raising alarms like a drone. If the gun had been destroyed as planned, Iran might have been unable to determine the assassination method.
With this report, espionage might take a new turn as secret agents can now use robotics to take out targets with little risk to themselves, little warning to enemies and a greater chance of deniability.
If we don’t do this election, there will be trouble
Ifeanyi Ubah, the governorship candidate of the Young Progressives Party, has said there will be trouble if the proscribed Indigenous People of Biafra insists that the November 6, 2021 election won’t hold.
IPOB had threatened that there will be no election in the entire South-East zone till it achieves its agitation for secession from Nigeria.
Reacting to IPOB’s stance, Ubah, who represents Anambra South in the upper legislative chamber, told BBC Pidgin on Monday, September 20: “We will talk to our brothers – the IPOB people, they should not say no election because if they say so, they will be imposing something we don’t want.
“So, we have to tell them the importance. We know they have power but let them pipe down for us to do this election because if we don’t do this election proper, there will be trouble. Anambra is the head of Igbo Nation.”
Reacting to the sit-at-home order by IPOB in the South-East, Ubah said, the adverse effects it has caused the people cannot be estimated.
He added: “The trauma also is so much. The truth about it is that our governors should wake up and engage with IPOB.
“It is IPOB that gave such order; talk to them, tell them that we are losing. We are agitating, we must fight for our brother but we can’t also be fighting for our brother and suffering our people.”
He continued: “I believe in Nigerian entity, I believe also that we, the Igbos, through the instrumentality of our state governments, can make Igbo a mini-nation inside the nation.
“We have everything as contained in the Nigerian constitution as a legitimate state, a state that can make what we want. I don’t think unless I change the name of the state; I believe that the more I get from Nigeria, I can now partner with our brothers abroad to bring the aspirations and what they want in the state.”
David Beckham’s son Romeo makes professional football debut for Inter Miami’s reserve side Fort Lauderdale
Romeo Beckham, the second son of former England captain David Beckham, has made his professional football debut for American third-tier side Fort Lauderdale.
The 19-year-old joined the reserve team of Inter Miami, the Major League Soccer side founded and owned by his father, earlier this month and his first outing came in a 2-2 home draw with South Georgia Tormenta on Sunday.
Beckham Jr started on the right wing, just like his father used to do for Manchester United and England, before being taken off in the 79 minutes without a goal or an assist to his name.
The teenager played alongside with Harvey Neville, the son of former United star and current Miami head coach Phil.