President Buhari has condemned the beheading of two soldiers in Imo state.
LIB had earlier shared the story of an army couple, Gloria Matthew and Audu Linus, who were beheaded over the weekend by gunmen in Imo. The couple had visited the state to perform their traditional marriage rites when they were attacked by the gunmen who shot at them before beheading them and shared photos and videos of their decapitated bodies on social media. Read here.
In a statement released this evening by his media aide, Garba Shehu, President Buhari condemned the act, describing it as an ”Alien and barbaric act”.
“On behalf of the government and the entire nation, President Muhammadu Buhari expresses deep condolences to the Nigerian Army and the families of Master Warrant Officer Audu Linus and his partner, Private Gloria Mathew, who were beheaded after being shot by the terrorist group, the Indigenous People of Biafra, IPOB, on Saturday as confirmed by the Nigerian Army.
The corpses were inhumanely treated and gleefully posted on social media platforms.
The President joins fellow citizens in expressing deep sense of shock and condemns the barbarism of the perpetrators of this unfortunate incident, and similar acts of violence against law enforcement agents, describing it as alien to all cultures and civilisations.”the statement read
The President urged community leaders to “speak with one voice, to show that the entire country is one against this cruel and barbaric act of violence”.
The statement added that the President has directed security agencies to “do their utmost in apprehending the perpetrators of these barbaric acts and bring them to justice”.
Update: Four killed in Kano gas explosion
At least four people were killed and several injured in an explosion that occurred in the Sabon Gari area of the state on Tuesday morning, May 17.
The State Commissioner of Police, CP Samaila Dikko, confirmed that it was a gas explosion and not bomb as widely reported on social media.
Speaking at the scene, Dikko said it was a cylinder used for welding that exploded, adding that four bodies have been recovered so far while efforts are being made to rescue the remaining victims.
“It is not a bomb explosion; it’s a gas cylinder. There is a welder here and he was the first victim of the situation,” the CP stated.
“As of now, one female and three males have been killed. All the security agencies are here. The Civil Defence, Brigade commander, Air Force, myself and the director, DSS, are all on ground.
“We will extend our investigation and at the end of the day we will come out with exactly what happened.” he added.
Meanwhile, the area had been cordoned off by a combined team of security agencies, including Police, DSS, Civil Defence Corps.
A rescue team from National Emergency Management Agency, Federal Fire Service and Federal Road Safety Corp were also on ground to evacuate injured victims.
Join me in praying for his safe return
Nollywood actor, Uche Odoputa, has raised an alarm over the kidnap of his father, Kenneth Odoputa, over two weeks ago.
In a post shared on Instagram, Uche appealed to his friends to pray for the safe rescue of his dad who he said has been in the kidnapper’s den for two weeks and counting.
In his post, the distraught actor wrote ;
“Friends please join me in praying for my father’s safe return from the hands of kidnappers that took him over two weeks now. Mr. Kenneth Odoputa”
2023: ‘I’m focused on AfDB’, Adesina rejects calls to run for president
Factual Pursuit of Truth for Progress
THE President of the African Development Bank (AfDB), Akinwumi Adesina, has rejected the calls from some Nigerians urging him to run for President in 2023.
Some groups had reportedly purchased and submitted the presidential nomination form of the All Progressives Congress (APC) on behalf of Adesina.
But in a statement issued on Tuesday, the AfDB boss said he is “focused on the mission of supporting the accelerated development and economic integration of Africa”.
”I have been extremely humbled by several calls from Nigerians at home and abroad that I should consider running for the office of the President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria. I am very touched by all who have gone to great extent, with such huge sacrifices, of their own volition, to consider me worthy to be proposed for potential consideration,” he said.
”The coalition groups of youth, women, farmers, physically challenged and well-meaning Nigerians that have done this have expressed their genuine free will, political right, freedom of expression and association for my consideration, with the interest of Nigeria at heart. While I am deeply honored, humbled and grateful for all the incredible goodwill, kindness, and confidence, my current responsibilities at this time do not allow me to accept to be considered.
”I remain fully engaged and committed to the mission that Nigeria, Africa and all the non-African shareholders of the African Development Bank have given me for Africa’s development. I remain fully focused on the mission of supporting the accelerated development and economic integration of Africa. May God bless the Federal Republic of Nigeria.”