One of the most common complaints of parents of newborns is that their babies do not drink milk. Quite often, it happens because the parents become anxious or begin to panic if their baby skips drinking milk even once. It is important to note that all digestion-. problems occur in babies because of the irregularities in the diet and lifestyle of the mother.
So, how do you know if the baby is really suffering from any problem or if it is just a matter of over-anxious parents? Here are a few signs that can help you figure out the real problem:
1. If a bad smell is coming out from baby’s mouth
2. If the baby is crying a lot, and for a continuous period
3. If the child is getting irritated and throwing a lot of tantrums for everything
4. If there is a change in the consistency of the stool of the baby
5. If baby is vomiting
6. If the baby’s weight is not corresponding to its age as specified by the pediatrician
Ayurveda terms this condition of indigestion as ksheeralasaka, where ksheera refers to milk and alasaka refers to chronic indigestion.
Following are the symptoms of ksheeralasaka as explained in 2nd Century AD by Acharya Vagbhata:
1. High fever (jwara)
2. Excessive thirst (trishna)
3. Giddiness (bhrama)
4. Vomiting (chardi)
5. Sound in the stomach (koojana)
6. Pale or yellow colored stools (peeta mutrata)
7. Frothy stool (phenila atisara)
8. Very bad odored stool (durgandha mala)
9. Stool in different colors (nanavarna mala)
10. Interrupted stool (acchamala vicchinna mala)
11. Convulsions (vikshepa)
12. Ulcers in the mouth (mukhapaka)
13. Ulceration in the nose (ghrana paka)
14. Excessive yawning (vijrimbha)
15. Constipation (visthambha)
16. Pain during defecation (vedananvita mala)
17. Indigested bowel (ama mala)
18. Watery stool (salilopama mala)
19. Eyes turning red (akshipaka)
As we all know, babies drink only milk, either mother’s milk or cow milk. Then, what can cause indigestion in babies? Here are a few factors that cause indigestion in them:
1. Untimely consumption of milk by babies
2. If the mother or the cow eats a lot of heavy, sweet, or slimy food
3. Excessive intake of milk
4. Change in the season
These are a few formulations that are useful in treating indigestion:
1. Chaturbhadra choorna
2. Jaharamohra pishthi
3. Shringa bhasma
5. Vasantamalati rasa
6. Shringa bhasma
However, you can also treat indigestion by following some home remedies. Here are a few of them:
1. Take a gram of calcified lime and dissolve it in 250 ml of water. Keep it like that for around two hours. Give 2-3 ml of this solution to the baby three to four times a day.
2. Take 20 grams of cumin seeds and 10 grams of ginger and grind them into a fine powder. Mix an equal amount of organic jaggery and mix it well. Give one to two grams of this mixture to the mother (breastfeeding) of the baby twice a day after food. This will help in treating the indigestion problem in the baby.
3. If your baby has begun to consume solid food, you can give him/her a pinch of cumin seed powder by mixing it with the food.
For the babies who do not drink mother’s milk, the chances of indigestion are more since cow milk is adulterated, and this can cause discomfort to the baby.
Along with this, there are a few instances when a baby needs special care to check whether he/she is alright or not. Mentioned below are the instances when you should take extra care of the baby:
1. If you are traveling to a new place along with the baby
2. When you are trying to feed something new to the baby for the first time
3. When there is a change in the weather
4. If the mother has a significant change in her diet.
It is very important to take care of babies at the proper time before it’s too late. We hope these tips will help you. In case of any doubts or queries, post your questions in the . box below.