A Florida man who was seen carrying a large red “Trump 2020” flag on the floor of the U.S. Senate during the Capitol riot has been sentenced to prison for eight months in the first felony sentence from the Jan. 6 attack.
Paul Allard Hodgkins, 38, of Tampa, was arrested back in February after the FBI received a tip identifying him among the hundreds of people seen in photos and videos inside the Capitol. He pleaded guilty in June to a single felony count of obstructing an official proceeding, which carries a maximum sentence of 20 years in prison.
“Although you were only one member of a larger mob, you actively participated in a larger event that threatened the Capitol and democracy itself,” said U.S. District Court Judge Randolph Moss of Washington on Monday.
“The damage that was caused that way was way beyond a several-hour delay of the vote certification,” Moss said. “It is a damage that will persist in this country for several decades.”
Hodgkins’ lawyer, Patrick Leduc, urged the judge not to impose a prison sentence, saying in a court filing that Hodgkins is “law-abiding, hardworking, honest, caring, kind, thoughtful, generous, and the kind of person you would want for a neighbor.”
On the day of the riot, he “lost his bearings and his way … made a fateful decision to follow the crowd, and found himself for approximately 15 minutes in a place that he sincerely regrets to have been,” the court filing said.
Hodgkins told the judge that he regrets his actions and would not have entered the Capitol if he had known of the violent acts committed inside.
“I can say without a shadow of a doubt that I am truly remorseful and regretful for my actions, not because I face consequences but because of the damage that day’s incident caused and the way this country that I love has been hurt,” he said.
“I realize that my involvement did still contribute to the greater problem that took place. The company of us who remained calmer in our protests may have made others feel emboldened.”
“Being a second wife to the right person is better than being a first wife to the wrong person”
One Comr Sagbama -Owei Peremobo-ere from Bayelsa State has said that it is better to be a second wife to the right person than be a first wife to the wrong person.
The businesswoman, who shared this on her Facebook on Sunday, September 19, said that she has agreed to be a second wife as “peace of mind” is all she needs.
RuPaul makes history as most-awarded Black artist ever
Legendary television figure whose full name is RuPaul Charles, on Sunday night, September 19, made Emmy history by becoming the most-awarded person of color in the show’s history with 11 wins.
The host and producer broke the record for the most Emmy wins by a person of color, as “RuPaul’s Drag Race” was named outstanding competition program on Sunday night. The series is the most-awarded reality competition show at the Emmys.
His show knocked out popular shows like Nailed It!, Top Chef, The Voice, and The Amazing Race.
Delivering a moving speech at the event, he said;
‘Thanks to all of our lovely children on our show, from around the world.
‘They are so gracious to tell their stories of courage and how to navigate this difficult life, even more difficult today. This is for you.
‘For you kids out there watching, you have a tribe that is waiting for you. We are waiting for you, baby. Come home to Mama Ru!’
Six of RuPaul’s wins were for outstanding host for a reality or competition program, the latest of which was won at last weekend’s Creative Arts Emmys.
Hosted by comedian and actor Cedric the Entertainer, the Emmy Awards saw stars come together in Los Angeles to celebrate the best of TV.
The awards ceremony had been held at The Microsoft Theatre since 2008 but the event was took place in a tent in downtown this year, while 2020’s ceremony was held virtually due to Coronavirus restrictions.
Qatar could ban unvaccinated players from next year’s World Cup
2022 World Cup host nation, Qatar is demanding that all fans and footballers attending the footballing ceremony are completely vaccinated.
The Gulf nation has already revealed that anyone attending the tournament next November will have to be doubled jabbed and has taken up the same position with players, according to a report by The Athletic.
Qatar, who have already administered more than 4.6 million vaccines so far, roughly 82 per cent of their population, are in discussions with FIFA and medical authorities in efforts to reach an amicable solution with footballers union who still have footballers who have refused to be vaccinated.
The Athletic claim a number of options are being considered, including unvaccinated players having to report negative tests every three days.
The report adds that Qatar aims to provide one million doses to spectators ahead of the tournament.
Just last month August,Manchester United boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer admitted ‘not all of the players have been double-jabbed’, adding ‘I have encouraged them to take the vaccination but you cannot force anyone to do that.’
Meanwhile, Qatar have also had to have painstaking talks about the logistics around Covid ahead of the Arab Cup, which starts on November 30 and will be used as test event for next year’s World Cup.
For that tournament, fans will need to be fully vaccinated to attend but players will not be required to follow suit.