Connect with us

News

Former police officer, Derek Chauvin sentenced to 22-and-a-half years for murder of George Floyd

Published

on

Former police officer,  Derek Chauvin sentenced to 22-and-a-half years for murder of George Floyd

Former Minneapolis police officer, Derek Chauvin has been sentenced to 22-and-a-half years in prison for the murder of George Floyd.

 

Chauvin, 45, was found guilty by a jury in April of second and third-degree murder and second-degree manslaughter for pressing his knee into Mr Floyd’s neck for more than nine minutes as he begged for his life and repeatedly said “I can’t breathe.”

 

Mr Floyd, a Black man, was killed in May 2020 after police officers responded to a call that he had used a counterfeit $20 bill at a convenience store in the city.

 

The sentence is ten years more than the average sentence for the crime, which 12.5 years.

 

Sentencing Chauvin, Hennepin County District Judge Peter Cahill said, “My comments will be brief.

 

“What the sentence is not based on is emotion or sympathy, but at the same time I want acknowledge the deep and tremendous pain that all the families are feeling, especially the Floyd family. I acknowledge and hear the pain you are feeling.

 

“I am not going to attempt to be profound or clever it is not the appropriate time. I am not basing my sentencing on public opinion, or any attempt to send any messages.”

 

Mr Floyd’s murder was captured by bystanders on their phones and the viral video led to months of racial injustice protests across the United States.

 

Chauvin, who wore a grey suit and tie, gave his “condolences to the Floyd family” as he was jailed.

 

The judge ruled last month that Chauvin had been “particularly cruel” in killing Mr. Floyd in front of children and had abused his authority, and the prosecution had asked for a 30-year sentence.

 

Earlier in the hearing Chauvin had broken his silence, but said he was not be able to give a formal statement because of other legal issues.

 

“I want to give my condolences to the Floyd family, there is going to be some other information in the future that would be of interest and I hope that things will give you some peace of mind, thank you.”

 

Under Minnesota law, Chauvin will serve two-thirds of the sentence in prison, and the remaining time on supervised release.

 

Chauvin will also get credit for time already served in prison as he awaited his sentencing.

 

Three other police officers involved in the incident, J Alexander Kueng, 27, Thomas Lane, 38, and Tou Thao, 35, face charges of aiding and abetting second-degree murder and aiding and abetting second-degree manslaughter.

 

Former police officer,  Derek Chauvin sentenced to 22-and-a-half years for murder of George Floyd

 

They had been due to go trial in August but that has now been moved back to March 2022.

 

The four officers have also been charged in federal court with violating Mr Floyd’s civil rights during the fatal arrest.

 

Chauvin also faces a second federal indictment for allegedly violating the civil rights of a 14-year-old boy in 2017.

 

During that incident he is accused of placing his knee on the teenager’s neck for 17 minutes, causing him to pass out.

 

The Justice Department is now investigating the Minneapolis Police Department for the alleged systematic violations of the civil rights of people in the city.

UNBELIEVABLE Married woman caught with another man by in-laws

News

“Being a second wife to the right person is better than being a first wife to the wrong person”

Published

on

One Comr Sagbama -Owei Peremobo-ere from Bayelsa State has said that it is better to be a second wife to the right person than be a first wife to the wrong person. 

 

The businesswoman, who shared this on her Facebook on Sunday, September 19, said that she has agreed to be a second wife as “peace of mind”  is all she needs.

 

 

UNBELIEVABLE Married woman caught with another man by in-laws
Continue Reading

News

RuPaul makes history as most-awarded Black artist ever

Published

on

Emmys 2021: RuPaul makes history as most-awarded Black artist ever

Legendary television figure whose full name is RuPaul Charles, on Sunday night, September 19, made Emmy history by becoming the most-awarded person of color in the show’s history with 11 wins.

 

The host and producer broke the record for the most Emmy wins by a person of color, as “RuPaul’s Drag Race” was named outstanding competition program on Sunday night. The series is the most-awarded reality competition show at the Emmys.

 

His show knocked out popular shows like Nailed It!, Top Chef, The Voice, and The Amazing Race.

 

Delivering a moving speech at the event, he said; 

 

‘Thanks to all of our lovely children on our show, from around the world.

‘They are so gracious to tell their stories of courage and how to navigate this difficult life, even more difficult today. This is for you.

‘For you kids out there watching, you have a tribe that is waiting for you. We are waiting for you, baby. Come home to Mama Ru!’

 

Six of RuPaul’s wins were for outstanding host for a reality or competition program, the latest of which was won at last weekend’s Creative Arts Emmys.

 

Hosted by comedian and actor Cedric the Entertainer, the Emmy Awards saw stars come together in Los Angeles to celebrate the best of TV.

 

The awards ceremony had been held at The Microsoft Theatre since 2008 but the event was took place in a tent in downtown this year, while 2020’s ceremony was held virtually due to Coronavirus restrictions.

UNBELIEVABLE Married woman caught with another man by in-laws
Continue Reading

News

Qatar could ban unvaccinated players from next year’s World Cup

Published

on

Qatar could ban unvaccinated players from next year

2022 World Cup host nation, Qatar is demanding that all fans and footballers attending the footballing ceremony are completely vaccinated.

 

The Gulf nation has already revealed that anyone attending the tournament next November will have to be doubled jabbed and has taken up the same position with players, according to a report by The Athletic.

 

Qatar, who have already administered more than 4.6 million vaccines so far, roughly 82 per cent of their population, are in discussions with FIFA and medical authorities in efforts to reach an amicable solution with footballers union who still have footballers who have refused to be vaccinated.

The Athletic claim a number of options are being considered, including unvaccinated players having to report negative tests every three days. 

 

The report adds that Qatar aims to provide one million doses to spectators ahead of the tournament. 

 

Just last month August,Manchester United boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer admitted ‘not all of the players have been double-jabbed’, adding ‘I have encouraged them to take the vaccination but you cannot force anyone to do that.’ 

 

Meanwhile, Qatar have also had to have painstaking talks about the logistics around Covid ahead of the Arab Cup, which starts on November 30 and will be used as test event for next year’s World Cup.

 

For that tournament, fans will need to be fully vaccinated to attend but players will not be required to follow suit.

UNBELIEVABLE Married woman caught with another man by in-laws
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement

Most Popular