Heartburn is a burning sensation in the chest, usually behind the breastbone which can extend to lower throat. It is caused by hormonal and physical changes in the body which is why pregnant women mostly suffer from it, pregnant women often have this experience during second to third trimester which will only be relief after child birth.
The muscle relaxant is made in plenitude when you are pregnant, it will relax all the muscle in your body and prepare the body for childbirth which makes the food and acid contents to escape into the esophagus and cause heartburn. Though as your baby grows it need some more space to survive, which the uterus will force the stomach upwards and will put pressure on your digestive tract thereby also causing heartburn. To stay clear from heartburn during pregnancy, see below ways you can avoid heartburn;
- Coconut water: Last week we brought to you benefits of coconut water if you have not read it click on the link to do so. Pregnant women should drink coconut water regularly, it is a natural acid neutralizer that can help soothes heartburn.
- Ginger: Ginger is a natural antacid for heartburn, take ginger either raw, cooked or liquid in form of tea.
- Papaya: Papaya contains enzyme that aids better digestion and helps soothe the stomach, eat a ripe papaya to help promote a healthy acidic environment.
- Aloe Vera: Aloe vera is an anti-inflammatory property which helps to cure heartburn, pregnant women should consult their doctor before taking it. You can take it as a juice or mixed with water.
- Almonds: Almond contains oil which can help neutralize and soothes acid level in the stomach. Take a handful of almond regularly.
- Apple Cider Vinegar: Apple is also a digestive substance that can stimulate the stomach. Apple vinegar can neutralize the acid forming foods and soothes stomach lining. You can mix the apple cider vinegar with water.
What other homemade remedies do you know? Share with us below.