Home News Hunger crisis may hit 346 million Africans – ICRC

Hunger crisis may hit 346 million Africans – ICRC

51
0

Factual Pursuit of Truth for Progress

 

Severe food insecurity may hit about 346 million people in Africa making it the worst crisis since 2017. The figure was about 286 million in 2021.

The Global Operations Director, International Committee of the Red Cross, Dominik Stillhart said: “The acute food insecurity situation in many of the countries where we are working – and people are already affected by armed conflict – is tipping into famine-like conditions.”

Two years of conflict in northern Ethiopia’s Tigray region has left millions facing famine – like conditions and created a hunger crisis in neighbouring regions.

Insurgencies in Burkina Faso, Mali, Niger, and Nigeria have also deepened food insecurity in West Africa here, which now faces its worst food crisis on record.

Many of countries dealing with conflict are also among the most severely affected by climate change, including South Sudan and Somalia here, said Stillhart.

About 90% of Somalia is currently affected by drought, said Stillhart. If this year’s rains do not materialize, 1.4 million children under five will be acutely malnourished, the United Nations World Food Programme has said.

In February alone, drought killed 650,000 livestock, devastating the scores of Somalis for whom the animals represented income, safety nets and savings.

Meanwhile, global food and fuel prices are sky-rocketing, in part because of the war in Ukraine, Stillhart said.

Prices for wheat, of which Russia and Ukraine are both leading producers, have retreated from all-time highs hit last month but remain 70% higher than April 2021. Corn and oil prices have also surged.

“Our call today really is that the attention on the plight of the people of the people in Ukraine – which is of course terrible – should not prevent the world from looking at other crises,” said Stillhart.

A likely death sentence may be passed on Tunisian MPs if found guilty for attending an online session of the suspended parliament last week, legal and political figures have said.

The session was condemned by the Tunisian president as a “failed coup attempt.”

The legislators were accused of having “attempted to change the political system and to cause disorder,” says former MP Samir Dilou, who attended the session, as quoted by French-language Realites website on Monday.

The former dean of Tunisian lawyers, Abderazzek el-Kilani, has announced the creation of a national committee to defend the MPs and raise public awareness of the “serious charges” they face, Mosaique FM website reported.

Last Friday, several MPs, including the leader of the Islamist Ennahdha party, Rached Ghannouchi, were summoned by the ‘anti-terrorism unit’ after they attended the online session.

During the session, they voted to nullify exceptional measures taken by President Kais Saied last summer, which included the suspension of the parliament.

After the session, the president dissolved the parliament and condemned the meeting as a “plot against the state’s internal and external security.”

UNBELIEVABLE Married woman caught with another man by in-laws
Previous articleLovely photos of actress Rita Dominic and her fiance, Fidelis Anosike, publisher of DailyTimes newspapers
Next articleKano atheist, Mubarak Bala sentenced to 24 years imprisonment for blasphemy

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here