Connect with us

News

Musician who raped and sexually abused eight teenage female fans after winning their trust is jailed for 17 years

Musician who raped and sexually abused eight teenage female fans after winning their trust is jailed for 17 years

A musician who used his status as a guitarist in a band to target and rape teenage female fans has been jailed for 17 years.

Advertisement

 

Cassius Povey, 29, a well-known musician in the Midlands, preyed upon the vulnerable victims over a six-year period between 2010 and 2016.

Advertisement

 

The court heard Povey, of Grimsby, Lincolnshire, was arrested in July 2020 after officers were alerted to his crimes by the Facebook post. 

Advertisement

 

A court heard the serial sexual predator plied some of the teenagers with drugs and booze after winning their trust as a ‘prominent and popular musician’. He befriended the schoolgirls, who were fans of his music, on Facebook before going on to rape or sexually abuse eight of them when they were only 14 or 15.

Advertisement

 

Povey also raped another woman, aged 19, in a park before he was caught when one of his victims spoke out on Facebook, and police were alerted.

Advertisement

 

Other girls commented on . saying they had also been abused at the hands of Povey, who was arrested and charged with a string of 19 sex offences.

Advertisement

 

The musician was found guilty following a trial of two counts of raping a woman over the age of 16 and six counts of raping a girl aged 13, 14, or 15.

Advertisement

 

He had already pleaded guilty to the nine counts of sexual activity with a child, grooming a child under 16, and inciting a girl to engage in sexual activity.

Advertisement

 

Povey was jailed for 17 years and will spend a further three on extended licence after being sentenced at Leicester Crown Court on Friday.

Advertisement

 

Sentencing, Judge Robert Brown said Povey had shown no remorse and had ‘controlled and manipulated’ the girls to satisfy his sexual desires.

Advertisement

 

Musician who raped and sexually abused eight teenage female fans after winning their trust is jailed for 17 years

 

Advertisement

He said: ‘All of the victims, in this case, have found you to be manipulative and cunning, and I have found that is just the type of person you are.’ 

 

Advertisement

In police interviews, Povey claimed that he thought all the girls were 16 or over at the time of the offences, and that the sexual activity was all consensual.

 

Advertisement

But during an investigation by Leicestershire Police, further crimes committed by Povey were uncovered against girls aged 13 to 15.

 

Advertisement

Speaking after sentencing, Detective Constable Kev Sharkey, from Leicestershire Police, said: ‘While this sentence will not change the experiences these young girls went through, I hope the fact that Povey will be behind bars for such a significant amount of time, offers some comfort.

 

Advertisement

‘The sentencing today has been at the end of a long court process and all the survivors have shown incredible strength, patience and dignity throughout.

 

Advertisement

‘Their evidence has strengthened the case against Povey, making sure he serves the time behind bars that he deserves.’

 

Advertisement

Matthew Thomas, from the Crown Prosecution Service, added: ‘Cassius Povey preyed relentlessly on young, vulnerable girls, taking advantage of their vulnerability.

 

Advertisement

‘He knew his lifestyle as a musician, with a wide circle of friends, would be appealing and he exploited this.

 

Advertisement

‘Despite appearing friendly and even empathetic, he had no thought for the well-being of his victims, taking what he wanted from them regardless of the impact on their young lives.

 

Advertisement

‘His age and status put him in a position of trust to these young people, which he abused, ruthlessly grooming them and taking steps to convince them that he was not abusing them.

 

Advertisement

Musician who raped and sexually abused eight teenage female fans after winning their trust is jailed for 17 years

 

‘We have set out to demonstrate that in all these instances there was no consent, regardless of what happened between them beforehand or afterwards.

Advertisement

 

‘These survivors have had to revisit some of the darkest times in their lives.

Advertisement

 

‘Povey’s actions had a profound impact on them and I am grateful that they have come forward, explained the awful reality of what happened to them and that we have been able to show Cassius Povey for what he is – a serious sexual predator.

Advertisement

 

‘Today’s sentence reflects the level of manipulation and abuse these survivors suffered at Cassius Povey’s hands.’

Advertisement

Advertisement
UNBELIEVABLE Married woman caught with another man by in-laws
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

News

‘It would be massive if Liverpool Win Champions League’ – Jurgen Klopp

Advertisement

  ?It would be massive if Liverpool Win Champions League? ? Jurgen Klopp

Liverpool manager, Jurgen Klopp has revealed his thoughts towards the possibility of the club winning the Champions League.

The Reds lifted their second trophy of the season last Saturday after beating Chelsea on penalties in the FA Cup final.

Advertisement

Klopp’s men play Real Madrid next week in the Champions League final and on Tuesday, May 17, they can close the gap between themselves and Manchester City to one point with just one game left in the English premier league.

 

Advertisement

Speaking ahead of Liverpool’s trip to Southampton on Tuesday, Klopp said: 

“If we play a season like we play and we win the Carabao and fight for the title until the end, I think it’s a good season,” Klopp told TribalFootball

“The FA Cup is a massive competition. It felt great. It takes pressure off and that’s what makes it more enjoyable.

“It would be massive if we win in a few weeks’ time in the Champions League. But we play the most experienced Champions League team on this planet.

“We aren’t massive favourites. It’s an open game and every little advantage we can get is good. They have already won the league already. Between now and then, two massive games.”

 
 

Advertisement

Advertisement
UNBELIEVABLE Married woman caught with another man by in-laws
Continue Reading

News

Johnny Depp hit me on our honeymoon

Johnny Depp hit me on our honeymoon - Amber Heard claims

In continuation of the $50m defamation lawsuit, Actress, Amber Heard has claimed she feared her ex-husband Johnny Depp would accidentally kill her during an alleged assault during their honeymoon.

Advertisement

Testifying in the defamation case Depp brought against her, Ms Heard, 36, painted a picture Depp as an abuser addicted to drugs and plagued with jealousy and self-harm.

Depp is suing Ms Heard for $50m (£40m) over an article in which she claimed she was the victim of domestic violence .

Advertisement

 

Johnny Depp hit me on our honeymoon - Amber Heard claims

The piece did not name Depp but his attorneys, however, have said that the article “incalculably” damaged his reputation and career. She has countersued him for $100m.

Advertisement

The case being tried in Virginia has resumed for a fifth week, and in previous court hearings Depp had told his side of the story while Heard had begun some of her testimony.

In court on Monday, May 16, Heard tearfully told jurors that she believed she’d likely “not survive” if she had remained married to Mr Depp, 58.

Advertisement

“I was so scared that it was going to end really badly for me,” she said. “I really didn’t want to leave him. I loved him so much.”

She alleged that he attacked her while aboard the Orient Express train in Asia after their February 2015 wedding, claiming that he struck her and held her by the neck while in their sleeper compartment.

Advertisement

“He was squeezing my neck against the railway car for what felt like a very long time,” she said.

She said she recalled thinking he could “kill me”.

Advertisement

“I remember being scared that he wouldn’t mean to do it,” she said.

In another instance, Ms Heard described a “week of hell” after Depp allegedly became jealous because she was offered a role with James Franco. She claimed he punched her and threw her into furniture.

Advertisement

While Ms Heard said that the marriage was “at times, very loving”, it deteriorated over time to a point in which tension and violence became “almost normal”. They divorced in 2017, after two years.

She also claimed that Depp would frequently self-harm during their arguments.

Advertisement

“In fights he often would cut his arms or hold his knife to his chest or draw blood, superficially at first,” she said. “He also put cigarettes out on himself.”

Attorney Camille Vasquez, Depp’s lawyer questioned the witness over her prior testimony, questioning why there were so few photos and medical records to back up claims of physical injuries from her alleged beatings.

Advertisement

Heard countered that she didn’t take photos or videos of the beating because she was embarrassed to be a victim of abuse and “other than my therapist”, she relied on makeup to cover bruises and ice to reduce swelling.

In a heated back-and forth, Ms Vasquez forced Ms Heard to acknowledge that she had “pledged” to donate the entirety of her $7m divorce settlement with Depp to charity but was yet to make any donation.

Advertisement

She also noted that her client had not once looked Ms Heard in the eye over the course of the trial. “He can’t,” Ms Heard responded.

In his own testimony earlier in the trial, Mr Depp said that he never struck Ms Heard and told jurors that she had a “need” for conflict and violence.

Advertisement

On Monday, jurors heard a number of audio clips of the former couple arguing. In one clip which Heard can be heard saying she hit Mr Depp.

“I was hitting you. I was not punching you,” she can be heard saying. “You’re not punched.”

Advertisement

According to Ms Heard, she sometimes “reactively” hit Mr Depp and claimed that she was referring to the “disparity” of their strength.

 

Advertisement

Advertisement
UNBELIEVABLE Married woman caught with another man by in-laws
Continue Reading

News

Many feared dead as explosion rocks Kano

Advertisement

Factual Pursuit of Truth for Progress

At least three residents of Kano were killed while many are currently trapped in an explosion which rocked Sabongari area of the state.

Advertisement

Details of the incident are still sketchy, but it was gathered that an explosive device went off in the early hours of the day.

It is being reported that a suicide bomber struck in the area.

Advertisement

Officials of the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) are currently at the scene.

Advertisement

Advertisement
UNBELIEVABLE Married woman caught with another man by in-laws
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement

Most Popular

X