The Kaduna State Governor, Uba Sani has described the proposed cash transfer policy of the Federal Government as a scam.
The Tinubu administration had earlier proposed to transfer N8,000 to 12 million Nigerian households for six months to cushion the effect of the removal of petrol subsidy.
The plan was later shelved after criticism from Nigerians.
Sani, while speaking in an interview with Arise Television’s News Night on Friday, stated that there is no accurate database of those that will benefit from the programme.
The governor said, “My position has always been that, at this critical time, cash transfer should not be something that we should bring up. I think that cash transfer for me, in my opinion, is a scam. Completely it’s a scam. I can be very certain about that, because who are you transferring the money to?
“Let me give an example, go and check the current statistics. Like I said, as the Chairman, Committee of Banking for four years in Nigeria, I oversight Central Bank, I oversight all the commercial sectors of our economy for the last four years and I looked at the statistics, I will be very firm on this issue and you can go and check it.