Men of the Bauchi state Police Command have arrested a 23-year-old man who allegedly infiltrated the National Youth Service Corps, NYSC, orientation camp in Bauchi with a fake call-up letter and began to steal the different possessions of the corps members.
Confirming this to newsmen, the spokesperson of the state police command, said the culprit allegedly infiltrated the camp in Wailo, Ganjuwa Local Government Area of the state with a fake call-up letter. He said luck ran out of the suspect after the state NYSC camp director filed a complaint of incessant theft on the camp ground.
Wakili explained that during the course of investigation, it was discovered that the suspect was a dropout of a reputable university in Nigeria, where he was studying Biology in the Faculty of Science. According to the PPRO, the suspect claimed he decided to come to the orientation camp after his mother asked him why he had not graduated, not to talk of going for his NYSC while some of his mates had already done that.
The suspect told the police that one of his friends advised him to come to the campground so he can wear the NYSC uniform, take some pictures and send to his mum so she can ”allow him to rest”.
The police spokesperson said luck ran out of him when they were about to close the orientation course. The suspect had no money and had stolen two phones and used the phone to clear his debt of N17,000 with an indomie seller at Mami market who gave him a balance of N10,000 after collecting the two phones. Wakili said the stolen phones were seen with the indomie seller who later disclosed that they were given to him by the corps member who is now in police custody.
Court remands three suspects for stealing transformer cables in Osun monarch’s palace
An Osun State Magistrate court sitting in Ilesa, on Monday remanded three suspected thieves in police custody for stealing transformer cables valued at N700,000 in Owa Obokun of Ijeshaland, Oba Adekunle Aromolaran’s palace.
The suspects, Owolabi Abimbola,33, Sulaiman Mutiu,25, Samson Oluwafemi,25, and others now at large are facing four-count charges on the committed offence.
According to the Police Prosecutor, Inspector Adigun Kehinde, the stolen transformer cables were the property of IBEDC Ilesa branch.
He told the court that the defendants on May 11, 2022, conspired, stole and diverted to their own personal use a transformer cable at the Owa Obokun Palace.
Adigun argued that the offence committed by the defendants was contrary to sections 516, 400, 451(6), 383(2) of the Criminal Code Cap 34 Vol ll Law of Osun State 2002, which saw the suspects pleaded not guilty to the charges brought against them.
In his ruling, the presiding Magistrate, A.O Awodele fixed further hearing on the case till May 18th and ordered that the defendants should be kept in Police custody.
Rio Ferdinand reacts after Cristiano Ronaldo failed to make Premier League Player of the Year shortlist
Rio Ferdinand has reacted to Cristiano Ronaldo’s omission from the Premier League Player of the Year shortlist, saying it’s ‘laughable’ while insisting he will ‘100 per cent’ stay at Manchester United next season.
Ronaldo’s return to the club from Juventus hasn’t gone as planned after enduring a frustrating first season at United, who have missed out on Champions League qualification. Though, he has 18 Premier League goals to his name.
Despite his individual performance, there was no room for the Portuguese star on this season’s Premier League Player of the Year shortlist, which consists of Trent Alexander-Arnold, Jarrod Bowen, Joao Cancelo, Kevin De Bruyne, Mohamed Salah, Son Heung-min, James Ward-Prowse, and Bukayo Saka.
Now, Ferdinand has questioned how Saka, who has registered six goals and 11 assists for Arsenal, has earned a nomination ahead of his old team-mate.
‘Saka’s in the in the Player of the Year nominees?’ the former United defender asked on the Vibe with Five podcast. ‘I wouldn’t have had Saka in there yet, as well as he’s done.
‘I wouldn’t have had him over Ronaldo, no, not this season. Ronaldo should be in ahead of three of four of those guys in there.
‘He probably doesn’t win it but in terms of nominees, it’s laughable. He’ll take it as a disrespect but these are the things that fuel him, he’ll be thinking, “how dare you?”.
‘If it’s based on stats, he’s like, “I’ve banged in more goals than most of them on that list other than Salah, so what are you talking about?”‘
2023: Why Kwankwaso will emerge next president – Orji Kalu
Factual Pursuit of Truth for Progress
The Senate Chief Whip, Orji Kalu, has explained why former Kano State Governor Rabiu Kwankwaso and his New Nigeria Peoples Party (NNPC) have a chance if winning in next year’s presidential election.
Kanu, who had earlier endorsed Senate President, Ahmed Lawan, believes the former Kano State Governor could shock the odds.
Kalu, who featured in a Television programme on Monday evening, said his understanding of the power shift to the Southern part of the country was that all regions in the zone – South-South, South-West and South-East would allow the latter to produce the country’s next president.
He added that since South-West and South-South-South are not willing to surrender the presidential ticket to the South-East, he would not mind if the presidency remained in the North.
In his words, “We agreed that it is the turn of the South-East to produce the president. Later we started seeing candidates from other zones – South-West and South-South.
“I know the two zones that have not produced the country’s president are South-East and North-East. I know I don’t have the number but I have other things to win the election.
“Since our southern brothers refuse to leave it to the South-East, if it is not South-East then it should be North-East. The South-West and South-South are not fair.
“If we have to do anything rational, Ahmed Lawal will have my vote because he is from the North-East. Anything except South-East, it should go back to the North. We are wiser now. This is the position of most Igbos. If they vote it back to the South-East, I’ll reactivate my aspiration.”
Kalu added: “The problem we have now is Kwankwanso. If they give me the ticket, I’ll lose to Kwankwanso. If APC pick southerner, Kwankwanso is already the president.”
The former Abia State governor, who dismissed insinuations on his interest in the running mate ticket, insisted that nine presidential aspirants would step down for the Senate President before the APC primary election.
“I am not a politician but an entrepreneur. I talk straight and not like a politician. I employ 35 percent of journalists in Nigeria.
“I have already purchased my Senate form. I have known Lawal for 41 years. We were roommate in the university,” he concluded.