Officials of Lagos State Rapid Response Squad have arrested two suspected armed robbers who were part of the 10-man gang that attacked and robbed a Kano-bound 18 seater bus near Otedola Bridge after it had a flat tyre.
The robbers, Afolabi Ayomide (22) and Ezekiel Nwagu (21) were picked up in an uncompleted building very close to Otedola Bridge.
The suspects in company of about eight others had robbed passengers aboard the Kano bound hummer bus when it had a flat tyre while heading towards Ojodu – Berger on Saturday.
According to one of the passengers, who prefer to remain anonymous, the bus parked shortly after noticing it had a flat tyre near Otedola bridge. They were mid-way into replacing the tyre when they saw two young men came to check them around 11:00 p.m.
Shortly after that, they saw the two young men again with about eight others armed with knives. They robbed some of the passengers and left the scene.
The Decoy Team of RRS on getting wind of the incident, stormed the area and arrested two of the suspects who the passengers confirmed were members of the gang that attacked them.
Meanwhile, the Decoy Team over the weekend arrested 35 suspects in a raid of blackspots in Ojota, Ketu, Ikosi, Ojodu – Berger and some parts of Agege. The figure excludes those screened out after the arrest.
The raid, which was ordered by the Commander, Rapid Response Squad (RRS) started on Tuesday last week and proceeded into early Sunday morning.
The 35 suspects along with the two robbers have been charged to court.
Some of the suspects are Godwin Christopher (30), Adewole Moses (23), Usman Hassan (19), Taofiq Raimi (31), Fuhad bashiru (19), Christopher Alo (32), Oluwasegun Oladipupo (32) among others.
CSP Olayinka Egbeyemi had, early Saturday morning, while screening some of the suspects directed the Decoy Team to sustain the raid until the level of crime in the State reduce.
2023: ‘I’m focused on AfDB’, Adesina rejects calls to run for president
Factual Pursuit of Truth for Progress
THE President of the African Development Bank (AfDB), Akinwumi Adesina, has rejected the calls from some Nigerians urging him to run for President in 2023.
Some groups had reportedly purchased and submitted the presidential nomination form of the All Progressives Congress (APC) on behalf of Adesina.
But in a statement issued on Tuesday, the AfDB boss said he is “focused on the mission of supporting the accelerated development and economic integration of Africa”.
”I have been extremely humbled by several calls from Nigerians at home and abroad that I should consider running for the office of the President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria. I am very touched by all who have gone to great extent, with such huge sacrifices, of their own volition, to consider me worthy to be proposed for potential consideration,” he said.
”The coalition groups of youth, women, farmers, physically challenged and well-meaning Nigerians that have done this have expressed their genuine free will, political right, freedom of expression and association for my consideration, with the interest of Nigeria at heart. While I am deeply honored, humbled and grateful for all the incredible goodwill, kindness, and confidence, my current responsibilities at this time do not allow me to accept to be considered.
”I remain fully engaged and committed to the mission that Nigeria, Africa and all the non-African shareholders of the African Development Bank have given me for Africa’s development. I remain fully focused on the mission of supporting the accelerated development and economic integration of Africa. May God bless the Federal Republic of Nigeria.”
Many feared dead as explosion rocks Sabon Gari in Kano (video)
Several people are feared killed with others injured in a huge explosion in the Sabon Gari area of Kano State.
Details of the incident are still sketchy at the time of filing this report but it was gathered that the explosion occurred at about 9am, near a primary school along Court Road by Aba Road, with many children affected .
It was not clear whether it was a case of a bomb blast or as a result of a gas explosion.
Meanwhile the police anti bomb unit and several security units have moved to scene of the incident.
‘It would be massive if Liverpool Win Champions League’ – Jurgen Klopp
Liverpool manager, Jurgen Klopp has revealed his thoughts towards the possibility of the club winning the Champions League.
The Reds lifted their second trophy of the season last Saturday after beating Chelsea on penalties in the FA Cup final.
Klopp’s men play Real Madrid next week in the Champions League final and on Tuesday, May 17, they can close the gap between themselves and Manchester City to one point with just one game left in the English premier league.
Speaking ahead of Liverpool’s trip to Southampton on Tuesday, Klopp said:
“If we play a season like we play and we win the Carabao and fight for the title until the end, I think it’s a good season,” Klopp told TribalFootball
“The FA Cup is a massive competition. It felt great. It takes pressure off and that’s what makes it more enjoyable.
“It would be massive if we win in a few weeks’ time in the Champions League. But we play the most experienced Champions League team on this planet.
“We aren’t massive favourites. It’s an open game and every little advantage we can get is good. They have already won the league already. Between now and then, two massive games.”