In completely obvious news, breakups suck. But sometimes, the aftermath can be even more confusing and emotionally draining. It’s totally normal to make some questionable decisions post-split—you’re feeling lost, hurt, and less confident than usual.
So to help you navigate this tricky breakup world, MAGGIE of Women’s Health Magazine rounds up some of the common landmines you’ll want to avoid.
1. Blow up his phone with several calls and texts per day. This is kind of like stalking, so, if he isn’t calling you back, hang up the phone. Also, you have better things to do!
2. Drink your feelings. Chances are you girlfriends will want to take you out for cocktails to vent, chat, and celebrate your singledom. One happy hour is fine, but not a week of tequila-induced sloppy nights. You’ll just feel worse once you sober up. Plus, a broken heart and a hangover don’t mix well.
3. Sleep with the next guy who buys you a drink. Random hookups are always a little risky, but when you’re hot on the heels of a breakup, you’re even more likely to wake up feeling worse. Plus, who is this guy? You are way too hot for him! At least wait it out a little!
4. Reconnect with other exes. Girl, you aren’t with them for a reason. Remember that time he flaked on your grandma’s funeral? Not cool. It’s natural to be craving something comfortable and reassuring right now, but it’s also pretty selfish to turn to an ex for that if you’re not really interested in getting back together.
5. Jump into another relationship right away. Everyone copes in different ways, but give yourself a little time to heal. While research shows that rebound relationships aren’t always doomed, it’s important to recognize if you’ve fully moved on first. After all, you wouldn’t want to be in a relationship with someone who’s still hung up on their ex, would you?
Share this story