Entertainment

Top Nigerian Newspaper Headlines For Today, Tuesday, 27th October, 2020

Lifestyle News

Good morning Nigeria, welcome to Naija News roundup of top newspaper headlines in Nigeria for today Tuesday, 27th October 2020

1. #EndSARS: Full Details Of What Buratai Discussed With Top Military Officers Emerge

The Chief Of Army Staff (COAS), Lt. Gen. Tukur Buratai on Monday, 26th October held a meeting with Principal Staff Officers and top army commanders at the Army Headquarters in Abuja.

The meeting with the top hierarchy of the military is related to the current security situation in the country, including the #EndSARS protests.

The meeting was attended by the Principal Staff Officers (PSOs), General Officers Commanding(GOCs), and Field Commanders.

The details of what was discussed at the meeting has now been made available to Naija News in a statement by Col. Sagir Musa, Acting Director Army Public Relations.

Buratai told them at the meeting that the Nigerian Army remains fully committed to the nation’s democratic stability and all subordinates must be informed that there is no room for disloyalty.

Drawing attention to happenings in the country over the last few days, the COAS noted that some unscrupulous elements have hijacked the otherwise peaceful #EndSARS protests, resulting in massive destruction of properties, looting, and widespread violence.

He alleged that the game plan of the criminally-minded individuals was to discredit the Nigerian government and the Nigerian Army but urged them not to fall prey of their devilish plans.

He reiterated the commitment of the military to international best practices despite all forms of provocation and accusation, urging them to urgently nip the developing crisis in the bud by displaying the highest form of professionalism.

In their response, the PSOs, GOCs, and Field Commanders reaffirmed their commitment to Nigeria and President Muhammadu Buhari, promising to remain undistracted in the discharge of their professional and constitutional duties without succumbing to local or international threats.

2. Barracks Where Soldiers Who Shot Lekki Protesters Came From Identified – Falana

Human rights activist Femi Falana (SAN) has said the barracks where officers of the military who shot protesters at the Lekki Toll Gate came from have been identified.

He disclosed this while speaking as a guest on Arise TV on Monday

Falana said the barracks was discovered by a group known as the Alliance for Surviving COVID-19 and Beyond (ASCAB), which he oversees.

According to the senior lawyer, based on the investigation gathered so far, ASCAB also has facts that shots were actually fired at the tollgate and people died from those shots.

Falana said: “We have already identified the barracks where the soldiers left for Lekki, we have already identified the barracks.

“The President was likely to have been told, soldiers were ordered so I want to believe that’s why it was not addressed and they said it was a rumour but I think the facts are emerging now, that indeed soldiers went to Lekki, indeed they fired at protesters and indeed some of the protesters at least two have been officially acknowledged to have died from gunshot wounds.”

3. NBC Fines Arise TV, Channels, AIT N9m Over #EndSARS Protest Coverage

Three Nigerian television broadcasting houses have been fined a sum of nine million naira (N9,000,000) by the National Broadcasting Commission, NBC over the coverage of their coverage of protest against police brutality in Nigeria.

Naija News understands that Channels Television, AIT and Arise TV were each awarded an N3m fine over “unprofessional coverage” of the EndSARS protests across the nation.

Daily Trust reports that the declaration was announced during a press conference on Monday, October 26 at the federal capital territory, Abuja, by the acting Director-General of the NBC, Prof. Armstrong Idachaba.

4. #EndSARS: Nigeria Needs A Total Overhaul, Our Leaders Are Sleeping – Gumi

Prominent Islamic scholar, Sheikh Ahmad Abubakar Gumi has submitted that nothing is working in Nigeria because the country’s leaders are sleeping.

Adding that the leaders need to be awakened from their deep slumber, Sheik Gumi noted that the #EndSARS protest is not just about police reforms or the disbandment of the Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS).

He noted that the protest is a wake-up call for those in leadership positions to wake up to their responsibilities.

Gumi added that current happenings in the country are warnings from Allah for those in government and urged them to disconnect from sycophants telling them they are doing well.

The cleric made his views known in a recent interview with one of the Northern-based privately-owned newspaper outfits in Kaduna State.

5. More Trouble For Wike As Nnamdi Kanu Places N100m Bounty On His Head

The leader of the outlawed Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), Nnamdi Kanu, has placed N100 million on Governor Nyesom Wike of Rivers State, south-south Nigeria.

Naija News had reported earlier that Governor Wike had directed security operatives to arrest anyone connected with the Federal Government proscribed Indigenous People Of Biafra (IPOB) in the south-south state.

Wike’s directive came after a clash between suspected IPOB members and security agents on Wednesday left two police officers killed.

Reacting to the development on Friday night in a statewide broadcast, Governor Wike placed N50 million bounty for the arrest of one Stanley Mgbere who allegedly led IPOB members to carry out the fatal attacks in Oyigbo.

Displeased with Governor Wike’s decision, Kanu has doubled the bounty the Rivers governor placed on an IPOB leader in the state, placing N100 million on Governor Wike.

S-C-H-O-C-K-I-N-G : Nigerian Pastor Sucks Breasts Of Kenyan Women

The IPOB leader placed the N100 million on Governor Wike on Sunday, days after his lawyer, Barrister Aloy Ejimakor, issued a legal notice in reaction to Governor Wike‘s order on IPOB in Rivers state.

6. No State Governor Hoarded COVID-19 Palliatives – NGF

The Nigeria Governors’ Forum has debunked the reports that palliatives uncovered by some residents in warehouses across the nation were intentionally hoarded by state governors.

According to the NGF in a statement on Monday, October 26, the reports making rounds in the media about the hoarding of the palliatives were untrue, insisting that the food items were stored purposely for members of the public, most especially the vulnerable.

Naija News understands that residents in Lagos State and some other states in the last week uncovered hoarded palliatives meant for distribution to Nigerians in order to ameliorate their sufferings during the first wave of the COVID-19 pandemic.

However, the governor’s forum following several meetings over the #EndSARS protests faulted the narrative that the food items were kept away from the citizen. The forum said it is making efforts to address concerns of members of the public and that they identified calls for justice and an end to police brutality.

NGF noted that it has in that regard set up judicial panels of inquiry to look into such cases. The forum revealed this in a statement titled, ‘Governors and the CACOVID Palliatives,’ signed by the Head, Media and Public Affairs of the NGF, Abudulrazaque Bello-Barkindo.

7. Lawan Vows National Assembly Will Get Justice For SARS Victims

Senate President Ahmed Lawan has promised that the National Assembly would ensure victims of the scrapped Special Anti Robbery Squad (SARS) police unit get justice.

The nation’s number three citizen made this known in a statement he personally signed in Abuja.

He called on security agencies to investigate all acts of vandalism and looting being perpetrated by hoodlums in the name of protests.

Lawan said: “I want to seize this opportunity to re-assure our youths that the National Assembly will collaborate with the Executive to ensure justice for victims of misconduct and rights abuses by personnel of the disbanded Special Anti-Robbery Squad of the Nigeria Police.

“In the same vein, to discourage impunity, we will insist that the perpetrators of the alleged abuses be prosecuted and sanctioned as appropriate.

“We will also work with the Executive to ensure that the five-point demands of the #EndSARS protesters which the government has committed itself to are fully implemented.

8. At Last, Sanwo-Olu Reveals Who Ordered #LekkiMassacre (Video)

The governor of Lagos State, Nigeria’s commercial city, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, has finally revealed that the Nigerian Military officers ordered the shooting of unarmed #EndSARS protesters at the Lekki Toll Gate on Tuesday, October 20.

Naija News had reported earlier that soldiers of the Nigerian Army invaded a peaceful protest at Lekki toll gate on Tuesday evening, October 20, killing #EndSARS protesters in the process.

On Monday, October 26 during a live interview on CNN, the Lagos Governor disclosed that according to CCTV footage gotten from the scene of the shooting, officers of the Nigerian Army were responsible for the attack.

When asked about who ordered the shooting and which security branch carried out the order, Sanwoolu said; “From the footage that we can see, there are cameras at that facility. It seems to me that there were men in military uniform, should be Nigerian Army.”

9. Travel Ban: I Don’t Mind Staying In Nigeria – Buratai

Chief of Army Staff, Tukur Buratai, at the meeting with Army commanders in Abuja on Monday, mocked international organizations threatening Nigerian military officers with a travel ban.

Buratai condemned the bodies calling for a ban on top personnel and soldiers over rights abuses.

“Criminal elements are threatening us with travel ban but we are not worried because we must remain in this country to make it better.”

“The first time I travelled outside of this country, I was already 50 years and a General, so I don’t mind if I live the rest of my life here”, The Cable quoted him as saying.

The COAS noted that the Nigeria Military will not allow any agent in or outside the country to cause lawlessness.

He further stated that “subversive elements, detractors and other enemies of Nigeria” will not be allowed to achieve “their aims and objectives of destabilization”.

10. #EndSARS: SERAP Threatens To Sue NBC Over Sanctions On Broadcast Stations

Three Nigerian television stations have been fined a sum of nine million naira (N9,000,000) by the National Broadcasting Commission, NBC over the coverage of the protests against police brutality.

Naija News understands that Channels Television, AIT and Arise TV were each awarded an N3m fine over “unprofessional coverage” of the EndSARS protests across the nation.

In reaction to the development, The Socio-Economic Rights and Accountability Project (SERAP) has condemned the sanctions and threatened to drag the NBC to court if the N9m fines imposed on the broadcast station are not rescinded within 48 hours.

The human rights organization also said the action taken by the NBC “is yet another example of Nigerian authorities’ push to silence independent media and voices.”

That’s the top Nigerian newspaper headlines for today. Read more Nigerian news on Naija News. See you again tomorrow.

Source: Naija News


a
Comments

Most Popular

To Top
X