The Nigerian Railway Corporation has said it is working with security agents in the state to ensure the safe return of 21 passengers missing onboard the Abuja-Kaduna train that was attacked on March 28.
In a statement signed by its Managing Director, Fidet Okhiria, the Corporation stated that it has so far confirmed the safety of 170 passengers who were onboard the train when it was attacked.
“The corporation, in continuation of its concerted effort through repeated calls, has been able to confirm the safety of 170 passengers, while 21 passengers are reported missing by their relatives, who made calls to us.
The corporation is seriously collaborating with the security agencies, which had already swung into action, in line with the directive of Mr President to do everything possible to rescue all those that are still missing.
The corporation is also not resting on its laurels as she has heavily moved human and material resources to the accident site to make sure that train services resume without further delays in order to reduce the stress that our passengers are currently going through.”Okhiria stated
Okhiria explained that there were 11 coaches on the train worked by Loco 2502, which was made up of four SPA coaches with 56 sitting capacity per coach and seven SP coaches with 88 sitting capacity per coach.
“Thus, the total seat capacity of the train is 840 seats. You may also recall that the train manifest contained 362 validated passengers aboard the train. There is a co-ordinated two-pronged simultaneous restoration approach. While Loco 2702 with re-railment and restoration materials departed the Idu Station, Abuja, to the bomb blast site, another team with Loco 2502 departed the Rigasa Station, Kaduna, with re-railment and restoration materials to the same site” he said
Okhiria stated that as of the close of work on Friday, coaches SP00004, SP00009, SP00012, SP00013 had all been re-railed and safely taken to the Rigasa Station in Kaduna.
Restoration of track for the full resumption of normal train services will continue today (Saturday) April 2, 2022.
“It may also interest you to know that arrangements have equally been put in place for increased security along the track and on board the train to prevent the recurrence of the unfortunate incident.”he said
Watford decline to sign Super Eagles player Peter Etebo permanently from Stoke City
Watford football club will not activate their option to sign Super Eagles midfielder Oghenekaro Peter Etebo permanently from Stoke City, according to new reports.
Watford based paper, the Watford Observer in a new report on Tuesday, May 17, said that the club’s new manager Rob Edwards doesn’t see him as part of his plans due to his injury concerns.
Following a nice start to his career at Watford, injury forced Etebo, 26, to miss out on months of football, after which he has been on the sidelines.
Watford have an option to sign him permanently should they wish to, but club sources have told the Watford Observer they do not think he will be needed.
The report reads;
New manager Rob Edwards is set for talks with club chiefs in the coming days, during which the current playing squad will be discussed, as the Hornets prepare to clear out players they think are either surplus to requirements, or will bring in money needed to help balance the books ahead of a season in the Championship.
And one such player who the club do not envisage as being part of their future plans is Etebo, who has been on loan from Stoke during the current campaign.
Decisions on the future of other players, like Juraj Kucka, whose contract Watford also have an option to extend by a further year, are yet to have been made and will depend on how those conversations with Edwards play out.
Rob Edwards was present at Vicarage Road for Sunday’s 5-1 defeat to Leicester City, as he saw his new club play in person for the first time since his appointment.
Etebo has featured in just 10 games in all competitions for the Hornets this season, nine Premier League appearances and one in the Carabao Cup.
He missed the 2021 Africa Cup of Nations in Cameroon due to injury but returned to the squad for the 2022 World Cup playoffs with the Black Stars of Ghana in March.
Kidnappers kill woman in Kaduna over failure to pay ransom
Kidnappers have killed a woman, Martina John in Kaduna State after her family failed to pay ransom at the specified date.
Acccording to her uncle, Makeri Danjuma Mohammad, the deceased was abducted two weeks ago from Katari village along Kaduna-Abuja highway.
She was brutally murdered by her abductors and her mutilated body dumped around Sabon Gayan Chikun Local Government Area of the state on May 13.
Martina was laid to rest on Saturday, May 14.
“Martina John is a niece to me. She was kidnapped from our community ten days ago and gruesomely murdered by her kidnappers for not paying the ransom at the time specified by them (kidnappers) May her soul rest in peace,” he wrote
“At the grave site of late Martina John today who was kidnapped from my community ten days ago, gruesomely murdered day before yesterday by her heartless kidnappers and her mutilated body dumped around Sabon Gayan near Kaduna. An unprecedented crowd of mourners graced her funeral today. May her soul rest in peace.”
Abducted Zamfara journalist regains freedom after six days in captivity
Zamfara-based kidnapped Journalist, Idris Haruna Magami, has regained freedom. He was released Monday evening, May 16, after six days in captivity
Idris Haruna a popular Radio presenter in Zamfara was abducted last wednesday while on his way to his hometown Magami, in Gusau local government area of Zamfara State
He is a staff of Zamfara State Radio and Television Services
Magami/ Dansadau road has been on the news for the wrong reasons following incessant attack on Communities, Commuters and Security operatives
Magami is about fifty kilometers from Dansadau, an area known as one of the hotbed of Banditry.