Two more men and a teenage boy are now facing life sentences after being found guilty of murdering ex-England footballer Shaun Wright-Phillips’ nephew under the joint enterprise law.
Rhamero West, a nephew of ex-England and Manchester City star footballer Shaun Wright-Phillips, died after being knifed a number of times in Old Trafford, Greater Manchester, on September 9 last year.
Ryan Cashin, 19, who stabbed Rhamero in the legs on Norton Street, was found guilty of murder at Manchester Crown Court last week.
Now a jury has also convicted Giovanni Lawrence, 20, and a 17-year-old boy, who can’t be named for legal reasons, of murder under joint enterprise law.
Prosecutors did not allege that the pair attacked Rhamero, but said the 17-year-old had run at Rhamero with a knife prior to the killing, and claimed Lawrence drove a stolen BMW which pursued the victim.
Joint enterprise law allows those deemed to have ‘assisted or encouraged’ an offence to be convicted.
Xavaiour Wynter, 18, alleged to be the driver of a second stolen BMW in pursuit of Rhamero, was found not guilty and discharged from the dock.
The verdicts came after a month-long trial at Manchester Crown Court.
Cashin was found guilty on Friday, and jurors convicted Lawrence and the 17-year-old boy by a majority verdict yesterday afternoon.
There were emotional scenes in the public gallery as the verdicts were announced.
Prosecutors are yet to figure out the motive for the brutal killing but said Rhamero was relentlessly hunted down before being murdered.
Rhamero himself was driving another stolen BMW and was with friends when he was spotted by his assailants on Princess Parkway at around 5.45pm on September 9 last year.
The 17-year-old defendant got out of one of the two chasing BMWs while Rhamero’s car was stationary in traffic, and started attacking the car with a ‘large knife’. The helpless victim tried to get away, driving too fast before crashing into another car and then plowing into a tree.
He and his friends got out of the damaged car and ran. The 17-year-old defendant chased Rhamero armed with a knife, the jury heard.
Cashin, of Nancy Street, Hulme, joined the chase and took the weapon from the 17-year-old before stabbing Rhamero in the legs in a front garden on Norton Street.
The killer is believed to have shouted ‘arr, got you!’, as a neighbour screamed at him to stop. Rhamero died in hospital that evening.
Prosecutors alleged that Lawrence and Mr Wynter were the drivers of two stolen BMWs which had pursued Rhamero through the streets, pointing to mobile phone cell site date and DNA evidence.
They claimed that the four defendants then regrouped in a taxi hours after the killing.
At trial, the 17-year-old admitted he had pursued Rhamero but said he just wanted to ‘scare’ him.
The teenager claimed he and others had followed Rhamero after seeing him drive at a drug dealer ‘as if he was going to run him over’.
The 17-year-old told jurors: ‘I weren’t happy about what I had just seen, I wanted to speak to him about it.’
Lawrence, of Moston, and Mr. Wynter, of no fixed address, did not give evidence during the trial.
Cashin, Lawrence, and the 17-year-old boy are due to be sentenced next month.
After his death, Rhamero’s family said: ‘We are all devastated and are now left with an empty hole in our hearts.
‘Mero was a beautiful soul and got on with everyone who he met. He will be sadly missed, lots of love son, we will love you forever – mum, dad, Remi and not forgetting your nephew Caerus.
‘We will make sure he will never forget you. Each and everyone in the family right now wishes you were still here. Sleep tight baby boy till we meet again. We love you forever.’
FG empowers women in sanitary items production
Factual Pursuit of Truth for Progress
About 30 women were trained over the weekend by the Ministry of Women Affairs, Bauchi State on the production of sanitary items for home management.
According to the News Agency of Nigeria the training was done in collaboration with QUB Resources Limited, Abuja, which provided the training.
The women were trained on how to make liquid soaps, hand sanitisers, and other disinfectants.
The training was done under the ministry’s Women’s Economic Empowerment Workshop.
Representative of QUB Resources Limited, Mrs. Lydia Shehu, said the theme of the one-day training is, ‘Building women’s economic resilience for inclusive recovery’.
Shehu said that the aim was for the attainment of personal and family hygiene and from bacteria, and viruses, among others, and to improve their means of livelihood.
She lauded the Minister for Women Affairs and Social Development, Pauline Tallen for organising the programme, especially during this period of COVID-19 and other diseases.
The representative explained that the skills taught were not capital-intensive, adding that the trainees could start up the business with little income and train other women on the products.
Mr Macaroni Knocks Critics Over Sabinus AMVCA Win
Nigerian comedian, skit maker, actor and philanthropist Debo Adedayo popularly known as Mr Macaroni, has bashed those criticising his colleague, Sabinus’ win at the Africa Magic Viewer’s Choice Awards on Saturday.
Emmanuel Ejekwu aka Oga Sabinus had won the award for Best Online Content Creator at the Africa Magic Viewers’ Choice Awards (AMVCA) and he expressed his joy for being honoured in such a way.
READ ALSO: Blasphemy: Mr Macaroni Blasts Atiku Abubakar For Deleting Facebook And Twitter Posts Condemning Killing of Christian Student
Following this, many have come out to argue that Mr Macaroni should have won the award. Reacting, Mr Macaroni tweeted, “Sabinus winning the AMVCA Award is very well deserved!! He has brought joy and laughter to the faces of millions including mine.
READ ALSO: Pretty Mike Came With His Own Asun In Case Meat Finish – OAP N6 Blasts Some Celebs’ Outfit At The AMVCA 2022
I have also had the pleasure of featuring him in about 3 of my contents. I share in his win.
Please let us not ruin this beautiful moment.”
Trending video of the day;
Photo Credit: Getty
. Mr Macaroni Knocks Critics Over Sabinus AMVCA Win Follow Nigeria | Nigeria News & Breaking Naija News – Nigeria News & Breaking Naija News | Nigeria Fashion & Style ||||.
. Mr Macaroni Knocks Critics Over Sabinus AMVCA Win Follow Gossip Naija.
2023 elections: APC fortunate, in control of 22 states – Adamu
Factual Pursuit of Truth for Progress
The National Chairman of All Progressives Congress (APC) Abdullahi Adamu, has stated that the ruling party is fortunate to be in control of 22 states ahead of the 2023 general elections.
This is as he promised that the party will field its finest candidates ahead of the 2023 general elections.
Adamu made the statement at the inauguration and screening of the party’s governorship, senatorial and House of Representatives aspirants in Abuja on Sunday.
The party chairman, who was represented by the Deputy National Chairman (North), Senator Abubakar Kyari, urged the aspirants to stick to party rules as they jostle for the APC tickets.
“We have been very fortunate as a party that we have produced the best. Today we have 22 states and at the last count before myself (Kyari) and the national chairman and one of our colleagues resigned from the Senate we had 70 senators out of 109, which is just three shy of the two-third majority needed in the Senate. Also we have almost two-third of the House of Representatives membership.
“And even after we had left we had one senator who decamped into the APC from Sokoto and we’re expecting another one from Oyo to officially cross the aisle to the APC. All of us here in the National Working Committee, on behalf of the national chairman, would like to welcome you here,” he said.
According to him, APC is a strong party that is committed to delivering the right candidates for the forthcoming elections.
The national chairman added that he has no doubt that all the aspirants assembled at Fraser Suites in Central Business District area of Abuja can achieve the feat.
“I know there’s a long, long huddle ahead of all of us. I would like to at this point plead with you to be patient, screen thoroughly so that we can have the best of the best,” he said.
The APC National Organising Secretary, Suleiman Argungu, had on Saturday, disclosed that 1,693 politicians comprising 145 governorship, 351 senatorial and 1,197 for the House of Representatives aspirants were screened at the two-day exercise.
Argungu disclosed that “we have 28 presidential aspirants so far. They will be screened on May 23, 2022.”