Ukraine has denied responsibility for an attack on an oil plant in Russia that made the Kremlin threaten to walk away from peace talks.
Russia’s defence ministry said two Ukrainian Mi-24 helicopters were responsible for an attack on Friday morning on a fuel depot in the city of Belgorod, western Russia, but added the facility did not supply fuel to the military.
In its statement, the ministry said the two helicopters attacked after crossing the border at an extremely low altitude
However, Ukraine’s top security official denied the accusations.
The helicopters reportedly fired S-8 rockets at a Roseneft depot, the area’s regional governor Vyacheslav Gladkov said. Several nearby businesses were also reportedly hit.
Speaking on national television, Security Council Secretary Oleksiy Danilov said: ‘For some reason they say that we did it, but according to our information this does not correspond to reality.’
Previously, Ukrainian ministry spokesperson Oleksandr Motuzyanyk had refused to deny whether they were behind the attack.
He said: ‘Ukraine is currently conducting a defensive operation against Russian aggression on the territory of Ukraine, and this does not mean that Ukraine is responsible for every catastrophe on Russia’s territory… I will not confirm or deny these allegations.’
Foreign minister Dmytro Kuleba added: ‘I can neither confirm nor reject the claim that Ukraine was involved in this simply because I do not possess all the military information.’
Meanwhile, Oleksiy Arestovych, an aide to Ukraine’s president, said Kyiv was concentrating on repelling the enemy.
‘For what’s happening on Russia’s territory, the responsibility lies with Russia, and it’s up to them to deal with what’s happened there,’ he said in a video on Twitter.
Video shared on social media appeared to show the attack happening at 5.43am local time, followed by helicopters flying away from the blaze, although analysts have noted Russia uses the same time of helicopters as Ukraine.
Russia has now threatened to walk out of peace talks after the attack, with Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov saying: ‘Of course, this is not something that can be perceived as creating comfortable conditions for the continuation of negotiations.’
Peace talks between Ukrainian and Russian officials resumed via video but Moscow warned that the helicopter attack would hamper negotiations.
AFCON qualifier: Super Eagles get Mauritius as new opponent
Factual Pursuit of Truth for Progress
The Super Eagles will now play Mauritius in the qualifiers of the 2023 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON) following the disqualification of São Tomé and Principe.
The Eagles were drawn in Group A of the qualifiers alongside Guinea-Bissau, Sao Tome and Principe and Sierra Leone.
However, Mauritius replaced Sao Tome and Principe after winning an appeal.
The Confederation of African Football (CAF) disqualified São Tomé and Principe, from the qualifiers for fielding an ineligible player against Mauritius during their preliminary round fixture.
Two teams from the group will qualify for the 2023 AFCON to be hosted by Côte d’Ivoire.
The first time Côte d’Ivoire hosted the AFCON was in 1984 which was won by Cameroon.
Blasphemy: 34 Lawyers Arrive Court To Defend Suspected Murderers Of Deborah Samuel
At least 34 lawyers have indicated interest to defend suspected killers of Deborah Samuel, a 200-Level student of Shehu Shagari College of Education, Sokoto, who was lynched by a mob on May 12 over alleged blasphemy.
The lawyers were at the Sokoto Chief Magistrate’s Court on Monday, May 16, to defend the suspects identified as Bilyaminu Aliyu and Aminu Hukunci.
READ ALSO: Deborah Samuel: Buhari Can Arrest Killer of Sokoto Student Like They Arrested Maina – Omokri
According to reports, the suspects pleaded not guilty to the crime and the trial judge (name withheld for security reasons) ordered them to be remanded at a correctional center.
READ ALSO: Let’s Be Objective, EFCC Invited Obi Cubana For Spending Millions During His Mother’s Burial. If EFCC Don’t Invite Any APC Govt Official That Pays The 100 Million APC Presidential Nomination Form For Questioning, Then They Are Biased – Reno Omokri
This case has caused an uproar on social media as many cry out for justice for the 200 level student. Deborah has been buried in her hometown, Niger State and her parents revealed that she was the second child of seven children.
Trending video of the day;
Photo Credit: Getty
. Blasphemy: 34 Lawyers Arrive Court To Defend Suspected Murderers Of Deborah Samuel Follow Nigeria | Nigeria News & Breaking Naija News – Nigeria News & Breaking Naija News | Nigeria Fashion & Style ||||.
. Blasphemy: 34 Lawyers Arrive Court To Defend Suspected Murderers Of Deborah Samuel Follow Gossip Naija.
DSS arrests alleged notorious land-grabber terrorising Ogun community
Crack operatives of the Department of State Service (DSS), Ogun State Command, have arrested a notorious land-grabber allegedly terrorising Ota community in Ado-Odo/Ota Local Government Area of the state.
The suspect, Elijah Adeogun aka Killer, was arrested at about 2.25 am on Monday, May 16, at Araromi Estate, Iyesi, Ota, following a petition written by the Adelupo Family of Ipetu Baba Ode via Iju-Ota.
According to Nigerian Tribune, the petition contained an allegation that Adeogun was responsible for the gruesome murder of one Monday Eredua on 17th November 2021, over a land matter in connivance with six others.
It was further learnt that a tactical team of the service conducted a special operation which led to Adeogun’s arrest alongside one Oyelekan Okunade.
The 40-year-old suspect, who had been on the watchlist of various security agencies in the state, was also reported to have allegedly masterminded the killing of one Moruf Babalola, on the 26th of May, 2021, in the same community, while his remains were thrown into a canal.
The suspect would be handed over to the Police for further investigation.