Though no one expects a partner to cheat, it still happens anyway. So, what are the tell-tale signs of a partner who might likely cheat on you?
• When s/he is emotionally distant This disconnection is usually the prelude to a dying relationship. For a potential cheater, it’s easier to distance oneself emotionally from someone than to confront the real problem. Psychologists regard it as cowardly.
• Absence of s*xual intimacy. When two people are still in love, s*x is normal and it happens without prompting. However, once infidelity enters the picture, physical disconnection sets in and absence of s*x is its expression. . This is especially true is no prior issues existed in this area. If nothing else, this behavior is indicative of some type of emotional or physical disconnect. Regardless, given the importance of physical connection in a relationship, a serious discussion is in order.
• When your partner suddenly demands “privacy.” Of course, in any relationship, everyone needs the “me” time; but when your partner is always in need of time alone, something isn’t right and it may be another way of easing him/herself out of your relationship.
• A sudden defensive attitude. When one of the partners become defensive in everything, especially when the complaint has to do with observable shift in attitude, then watch out. You might be looking at a cheater right in front of you!
• Irregular financial habits. Two people involved in a serious relationship understand the importance of finance. Usually, any outgoing money is acknowledged and accounted for. If your partner, all of a sudden, drifts from this mutual understanding and engages in spending for which they cannot account, it may indeed be a sign of detachment at best – and infidelity, at worst.
• Suddenly becoming fashion conscious. We all want to look our best for various reasons; most commonly, to look respectable and professional. However, an abrupt change in appearance without explanation is uncommon, especially for those who have shown little interest in the past. Those in a midlife crisis often cite a change in fashion as a sort of “motivation” to look younger and more presentable. Of course, the desire to appear more attractive to the opposite s*x is a very real possibility.
• S/he ignores your close friends. One tell-tale sign of a cheater is a sudden disconnect from your circle of friends. It seems strange and may be a forewarning of some relationship problem. For cheaters, it is much easier and convenient to separate from those close to you than to be upfront about their true feelings. This is even more conspicuous if your other half and social circle were close at one point in time.
• They guard their phone/computer, etc. In a serious relationship or marriage, it isn’t strange to pick your partner’s call or check their phone. Really, it’s not that big of a deal…unless they either have something to hide, or are simply in a bad mood. If your significant other suddenly and atypically objects to what, was at one time, not an issue, then there’s cause for concerns.