A woman was shocked to find her missing diamond and sapphire engagement ring inside her dog.
Elayna Rattenbury, 38, lost the expensive ring which she kept on her bedside table.
She began suspecting her dog Stevie might have swallowed it after it destroyed a box of tissues in her bedroom.
The legal director from Worcester then took the seven-month-old dog to a vet, where an X-ray showed the ring inside Stevie’s body.
Elayna said: “I’d left the bedroom door open and Stevie had sneaked in and she has a real thing for tissues.
“I went to see the mess she’d caused and immediately realised the ring was not there. It was a heart-stopping moment.
“Then I looked at Stevie and thought, ‘She hasn’t, surely she hasn’t?’ But oh yes, she had.”
Luckily, the ring hadn’t damaged any of the dog’s internal organs.
Vets told Elayna and her husband Dave to “let nature take its course”, so they spent four days rummaging through Stevie’s poo before they eventually found the ring.
Elayna went on: “I’d expected to find it in the first 24 hours, so by day three I was thinking I must have missed it and started searching back through the poo bags from previous days.
“My husband Dave even bought a metal detector to try to find it and then, thankfully, on day four, it finally appeared.
“It obviously wasn’t looking its best, so I put it into a tub of hot soapy water for two days and every few hours I was taking it out, rinsing it, scrubbing it with a toothbrush and then putting it back in to soak.
“It certainly needed a good soaking and scrubbing before I dared even smell it, let alone put it back on.”